how to potty train a two year old boy

I have trying to potty train my two year old for 6 months now. He refuses to tell me when he has to go. He only tells me after . He will be 3 in october, is it too soon?

mommy10410

Asked by mommy10410 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you've been trying for 6 months you started too soon. Back off completely for a couple months and then try again. Kids usually let you know when they're ready

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I agree with Missanc. He's probably not ready. Wait a few months and try again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Wait until he turns 3. Then take away the diapers completely. Stay home for 3 days. Put him in underwear. Never go back to diapers or pullups except at night. Take him every 1/2 hour the first day. He'll catch on when it's dripping down his leg. Be ready for lots of accidents day 1. Day 2 will be better. Day 3 he'll be trained. Have at least 15 pairs of underwear ready. You can give candy when he tries. Lots of positive reinforcement. Never punish or yell at him. He will have accidents at first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• If hes refusing to go, then back off, that is a big sign hes not ready. You can't really force potty training despite what some people claim. My son was 3 and a half before he was fully potty trained because he just refused to do anything. And instead of giving him space and time I tried to force him to do it. I did bribes, took him to doctors, everything. I was a total nut about it, my parents weren't a help because they told me I can't let him fall behind other kids or he will never catch up. Which turned out to be total crap. Its hard, but put your worries aside and know that he will start showing signs when hes ready to be potty trained.

Then once hes ready you can pretty much do it in a single day. What I did once he was ready was leave him naked and tell him to tell me when he felt like he had to go. Then I took him into the bathroom and I put colored pieces of paper for him to aim at. I told him it was a special...
    JanetMonroe1991

Answer by JanetMonroe1991 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• game that were were going to play today and that the different colors were worth different points and that he would get candy and other small items that I had bought depending on the amount of points he got. Gave him something to aim at and taught him the concept of aiming without him really knowing. Once he figured out that he was going to get candy and small toys he was eager to go to the bathroom each and every time he had to go. By the end of the day he was going without prompting and things went along smoothly. He even woke me up in the middle of the night to say he had to go again.

Within a month after that he was out of pull ups even at night and into undies.

The exact same process worked with a friends kid who I was watching while she was working. Only he kept taking his clothes off, and so I potty trained him after calling my friend and asking her. End of the day he was also potty trained....
    JanetMonroe1991

Answer by JanetMonroe1991 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Keep it light, stress free for the child, make it into a fun game and give them rewards and it will go smoothly if you do it when they are ready.

The other boy was 28 months old in case your wondering.
    JanetMonroe1991

Answer by JanetMonroe1991 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2013