I am moving at the end of July- do you have tips for packing?

I want to start packing and purging down so it's an easy move. I have all month.

My mindset is to box and pack everything we won't use in the next month so it's ready and to have a garage sale for everything we don't need.

Any tips here?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Pack room by room and mark all the boxes. Master bed room, kitchen , ____bedroom ect.................
    As you go, throw stuff out or donate it. Find a part of the house you can put the boxes that will be out of the way.

Answer by louise2 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Label your boxes well, especially if you are mixing items like socks and batteries. Put down what room they came from to give you an idea of where to unpack them.

Goodwill is a great place to send anything you can't sell.

Ask around at liquor stores for boxes. They are generally pretty strong and free!

If you find any boxes you haven't unpacked in 6 mos after you move, consider getting rid of it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Pack up stuff you aren't going to use on a daily basis, now. Make sure you mark all the boxes so you know where everything goes at the new house. Get rid of everything you possibly can, cause moving sucks!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Usually it takes 2 weeks to a month just to plan a garage sale, do you have help?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Oh I am a master of garage sales, don't worry about me. My only problem is I don't have tables- but I'll figure it out.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I'd pack seasonal stuff that you won't need until the fall first. Pick a spot & just pile things you are selling. Then take a day to price it & organize it. Congrats on your move!! :) Wish we could all come & help you! I love garage sales!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Thanks for the congratulations! We don't have a place to move yet or money to do it but we have to be out July 30th and I may as well have everything packed.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Awe. I'm sure everything will work out. Can you stay with your Mom or MIL for a little bit?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Not options, just going to sell everything I have of value and see what happens. Worst comes to absolute worst I end up in a homeless shelter. I don't see that happening though. I think I would be in a cheap apartment before that happens.

Guess I'll put all those Christmas lights in a box!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I hate packing and I suck at it. The last time I moved, I didn't pack a single box. I moved from one house to another with 4 large laundry baskets and a few cloth grocery bags. I loaded everything up at the old house, drove to the new house, put everything away, went back. No packing, no unpacking. The worst move I had to deal with was from Illinois to Nevada with a 3 years old and a 4 month old. Everything had to be in some sort of container, which is more difficult than it sounded. Packing was awful, and we were at our new place sleeping on the floor for 10 days before our stuff got there.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2013