is he hungry? is he getting enough?

OK, so my little guy just turned 3 months and I'm concerned that he seems to be ALWAYS HUNGRY...I just went from 4 ounces to 5 ounces in hopes it will satisfy him longer...but when he's awake, he can barely stand 1 1/2 hours or 2 hours without eating or being awake...diaper's dry, tried everything to keep his attention, but no matter what I do, he cries and screams...
I'm not sure when he is supposed to start being up more often..he sleeps from like 8:30pm or so til about 3:30am and goes back to sleep til 7 or 8 sometimes and then he has 2 three hour naps each day....I really don't know what's normal naptime and sleep wise and how much he should be eating...help!

newirishmommy

Asked by newirishmommy at 10:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• here is my chart....3-4 month old babies should have an average of 4-5 feedings in 24hrs.. BUT think about it this way, if your baby sleeps in long blocks, like mine did at this age... he slept 11 hours, at night, and that left him 13 hours during the day, but take away 2 naps at 2 hours a piece... so you have to cram all that in.. 6-7 ounce size bottles is the reccomendation, so a total of 24-35 ounces of formula/breastmilk... also, when my son was 3 months and 3 weeks, I started him on cereal in the morning, and that helped him so much... if you have any questions, msg me..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Usually babies at this age sleep 6-8 hrs at night and you can give them a little more to eat in their bedtime bottle to hold their tummy's over. Also, if your baby wants to eat let him eat as much as he wants. My sons appitite just kept increasing; they grow very fast. It's okay too for him to take a lot of naps. I can't remember how many hours a day they usually sleep, I want to say 16, but I could be totally wrong. Hope I helped.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:34 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• He could also be going through a growth spurt.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 10:35 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• if you are feeding formula, that is your problem. breastfed babies can regulate the amount they need. you should make sure he is having at least 6 wet diapers/day. it is a growth spurt. babies will sleep a lot. as long as he is eating and gaining weight and wetting diapers, don't wake him.
    Anonymous

• If he acts like he wants more milk you should give it to him. You never know when he's in a growth spurt and needs more milk than normal.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You could try gas drops and making sure hes burping well. It might be something other than hunger. My son is not quite 3 months, and hes been on 5 ozs since he was 2 months. You might want to up him to six. Some babies just need more. My son eats about every 3 hours.And I also know all the doctors are against it. And im sure people will bash me and talk crap to me bout this. I haven't tried it. But I do know a lot of people who put a little cereal in the bottle right before bedtime and they say it holds um over longer. I lucked out and my baby has been sleeping through the night since he was 6 weeks, so I have no need to try it. But thats completely up to you. According to doctors they say dont feed it to um until 4 months. But some babies just need more to fill um up/.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• oh i should also mention your baby is probably going thru a growth spurt, and for the first 4 months, they are rapid, and sometimes, they do it, and we just have to play catch up... www.similac.com/feedingchart is where i got this from... my son was about right on track for this chart... some babies dont eat as much as they say, and some more.. this is just "an average"
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Okay, I feel better...I figured it may be a growth spurt. I was just concerned he may be napping too long because if he eats 5 ounces before napping or going to bed he sleeps a lot longer...during the day when I was feeding him 4 he would start whining after an hour or an hour and a half...kinda hard when you don't know if they are hungry or tired...he'll eat whenever! I've actually got him to go to sleep when he is laid down, so I'm hoping that if I think he's tired and he's not or something he may think he has to sleep...maybe I"m over analyzing...I was also told they grow while they sleep and he is a chunker! But developmentally, he's doing really great...I'll probably ask the pediatrician just to make sure...
    newirishmommy

Answer by newirishmommy at 11:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009