Are there really still people who think you're supposed to rinse raw chicken?

Bit on the news where it's being mentioned like some shocking new discovery. Other "myths" he debunked - antibacterial soap isn't any cleaner than regular soap and is extra chemical exposure that can cause harm, artificial sweetener causes weight gain.

It was like a whole report on common sense.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Why would you rinse a chicken?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Apparently splattering salmonella all over your kitchen is safer than it possibly sitting on the chicken skin before you put it in the oven? I never understood it either, but it used to be the 1940's way of teaching Home Ec.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My husband rinses fish before grilling it, but I don't know why. I was told to soak it in milk.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• OMG! My Mom does that! I used to do it too before I thought about it! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Some of the recipes I got from my mom and grandma say to rinse the chicken and dry it off. I've never bothered.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I use to rinse chicken tell I seen that on tv. I never liked antibactireal  soap . Thought just washing your hands was good eough.

I have no choise in useing splenda. I am diabetic.

Answer by louise2 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• The only "rinsing" of chicken that I do is sometimes putting it in water to bread it, but I usually put the water (or milk) in a dish instead of splashing it everywhere.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I have been known to give it a bath in a tub of water in the fridge for an hour. lol.
    Depending on what is in the water it can make it juicier and more flavorful. I am really oldand I never bought in to any of those. I figured if I had to wash the chicken before cooking it, it was probably too old to eat anyway.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• ive never rinsed off a chicken...i had someone get onto me about not doing it once and when i asked "why would i do that" they had no good answer.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:48 AM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I rinse my chicken as well as my turkey. I get disgusted looking at all the blood on it.

I also soak my chicken in salt water for a couple of hours before I fry it.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2013