My son is going to be 3 in 2 weeks. He is 45 pounds and 39 1/2 inches long. I cant buckle his sea belt in the car seat I have and I want to know if I can put hime in a backless booster seat and use the regular belt. I've tried 3 different boosters and the seat belts just dont fit.

momofbuiltboys

Asked by momofbuiltboys at 7:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NO. At 3, he should be in a 5 point harness. Not a booster, and definitely not a backless booster.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• No! Get the Graco Nautilus 3 in 1 Car Seat. MY Son weighs 42 lbs & he's 44" & he's very comfortable. It has a 5 point harness good up to 65 lbs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I have the Birtax Frontier 85, but I had the Nautilus before that. Both are good seats.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• follow this link theyll be able to suggest many different options

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• *Britax*, I mean.
    JulieJacobKyle

• Goodness, he's a big boy. You might legally be allowed to put him in a booster seat since he's over 40 pounds even though he's still well under four years old. But it will be safer if you can fine an option that will let him continue to be in a five-point harness.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• You have to check the law in your state... But I keep reading that your child has to be least 4 years old and weigh 40 + pounds. Age/maturity plays a huge part in this!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Crafty gave some great links
    sadly they dont address muscular and bone development
    the reason to keep the kid in a car seat as long as possible is because of underdeveloped necks
    an impact can cause internal decapitation

remember until he can reach his hand over his head and touch his opposite ear his head is disproportionally large

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• You need a better car seat, take him to any store that has floor models and try him in all of them until they fit right
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2013