3 month old reflux is acting up and will not take bottle...ped said dilute form. and pedilyte (half and half) then try to wean him down to just formula. he gets to 5oz form 1oz pedilyte then cries when given straight formula. what can i do...very stressed!

He is on 1ml ranitidine 2x a day and enfamil ar

monkeytoes552

Asked by monkeytoes552 at 8:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• who diagnosed acid reflux as opposed to another condition such as milk protein allergy?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• We had xray with barium swab done at hospital and got a positive diagnoses. He was doing fine for the first month and a half. He was on .5 ml ranitidine switched ped. New ped upped dosage cause hes heavier. I hate seeing my lil man suffer and not eat. His father also has bad acid reflux. They say it can be hereditary :-(
    monkeytoes552

Comment by monkeytoes552 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• well, i got nuthin'
    here's a bump
    hope you get some answers

mine have had allergies- i know how scary it is to see your kid not eat.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Maybe he needs to changes reflux medicines? I can't give you advice about the formula or putting stuff in formula because I breastfed mine. Both of mine were refluxers though. They both ended up on Prevacid and Reglan. It was life changing for them. The Prevacid helped, but adding the Reglan took the symptoms away completely.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Thanks anyway feralxat! Julie...i touch base with my ped. again monday and see where to go from here but will definitely ask about changing meds. He is such a happy baby except at feeding time now. He has been through so much already. He had jaundice real bad..moved to thrush...now reflux and constipation :-( ..we went to er monday when he stopped eating the ped on call at er said to put prune juice in his bottle for constipation. Im wondering if i could replace the pedilyte with juice. I just dont like him being on pedilyte for a long period of time
    monkeytoes552

Comment by monkeytoes552 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Im going crazy trying to figure out why he wont drink straight formula...but if mixed with pedilyte he will
    monkeytoes552

Comment by monkeytoes552 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• At his age, I wouldn't want him on juice at all. Also, juice has additional acid that would add to the problem. If he's going through a growth spurt, he might need his dosage upped a bit. Or another med might work better. Or adding Reglan could help. Thankfully, there are a lot of different options these days. It just might take some trial and error to see what works best.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Also, I know they make special formulas for refluxers, but again, I don't know anything about formula so I can't say one way or the other about that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Thanks! Yea the enfamil ar is supposed to be for refluxers..it has rice starch to thicken it so they can keep it down but i will definitely ask about Reglan
    monkeytoes552

Comment by monkeytoes552 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• Ah, ok. Sorry I am not knowledgable about formulas. I know some people thicken, some thin, some use different brands. Seems like a lot of conflicting views.
    The prevacid keeps the stuff in the stomach moving through faster, so it goes down instead of up. It works best with a proton-pump inhibitor to stop some acid production, but that alone isn't enough a lot of the time, so adding Reglan can make a huge difference. Some doctors won't prescribe it for infants because they can have a reaction to it that is pretty scary. My pediatric GI told me that the babies would act almost rusty if they have a reaction to it, but that Benadryl flushes it from the system if that happens.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2013