Do you remember the first person that you realized was gay?

Today I was at the mall with my kids and saw the gym teacher from my middle school. The more I thought back to being in her class, the more I realized she was the first gay person that I ever realized was gay. I came from a very conservative family where no one ever talked about being gay or what being gay was. It was quite shocking to me back then. Not now of course, but then it was.

Just an interesting observation.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 10:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2013 in Relationships

• My mom had a friend named Richard. He was very flamboyant. I think I was about 7 when I was told he was gay.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• A high school home ec teacher I had. Older lady, so far in the closet she could have been a garment bag, but we all knew anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• A childhood friend Andy. My parents use to say he was 'funny" but the way they said it did not mean sense of humor.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I had a camp theatre director who my "dad" made jokes about
    didnt get it
    had 2 gym coaches
    didnt get it
    went to school with a few queens
    didnt get it
    had a crush on a guy classmate at beauty school
    still- nothing

had a "cousin" who said he was gay...
    everything clicked into place- i was about 21

i knew about gay just didnt have gaydar.. now...i have told returned missionaries they are in the wrong bar and been thanked for directing them to the RIGHT bar
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• First person that I knew was gay I guess was a friend from high school, I saw him years after high school after he had "came out"...he walked up to us, greeted us and then said, "oh by the way I'm gay". We knew in high school that he was but if I hadn't I'm sure I would have figured it out by his behavior that night(he had become more "openly gay" in his manurisms and the assless chaps he was wearing lol.

I have friend I have known since junior high that is also gay, but I wouldn't say I knew back then, and I don't know if she did either. I believe she knew in high school and I had a guess but she also didn't come out until after HS.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• I was in my mid-twenties when my brother came out. The general reaction he got from friends and family, including me, was, "And it took you this long to figure it out?"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My first department head when I was in the navy. He had a rainbow lapel pin on his lab coat. I didn't think it was a big deal. He was an awesome doctor and one of the few good officers I encountered.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• To be honest I can not remember the first person but many years ago in high school I was in a stage performance and it was quite apparent the the young man playing opposite me was more interested in "my brother" than in me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• My uncle when he brought one of his theater friends to Thanksgiving dinner at my grandparents. I didn't care much either way, but I remember the vibe at the table being really strange. I felt bad for the guy to have to spend his Thanksgiving with my 'whomever speaks loudest wins' family. I think I was about 9 or 10 years old.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2013

• A guy who was 2 grades ahead of me. It was never an "ah-ha" moment of realization, it was just sort of like, he's gay. He never tried to hide it then had a big coming out, so it was never a surprise I guess.
    There was one girl in my class that I always thought *might be a lesbian but it wasn't until a couple years after graduation that she moved to a bigger city and got a girlfriend where it was like ok yes she is.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2013