How much exercise should a person get everyday, if they want to get in better shape and lose weight?

i know it varies with age, overall health, stamina, etc. but in general? i have an elliptical that i exercise 25-35 minutes every other day on. im thinking that's probably not enough. i mean, it's not like i sit around the rest of the day. i do housework, go outside with the kids, and we almost always take a daily walk or bike ride weather permitting, in addition to going to the pool/playground. but i know that's all stuff that just helps me maintain my weight. if i want to lose steadily and get in shape, how frequently should i use the elliptical, and for how long?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• There's no telling - it has to be burning more than you take in, so it's a combination of how much you work out and how much (and what) you eat. It has to be less, without being so much less that your body goes into starvation mode. Best bet is use something like Sparkpeople to find the right balance based on what you eat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:25 AM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I started walking a month and a half ago, cut fast food and soda out of my diet, and I have lost 12 pounds. I walk an hour 5-7 times a week. Hopefully I can keep it up.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:59 AM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I need at least 30 mins/day of some type of cardio. I do light weight lifting 3 times/week. That's my maintenance, but I'll be 40 this year. 10 years ago I did aerobics 3 times/week for 40 mins and was fine.

Answer by missanc at 10:29 AM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Try running a bit everyday and continue to run while adding length to the run..a change in exercise will shock your musles and body to maybe loosing some weight but you also need to watch whst you eat, smaller portions maybe....

Answer by older at 10:49 AM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Here's a stupid tip. Anytime you are standing, like in the shower or doing the dishes, alternate going up on your tippy toes and back down one leg at a time like walking but not moving. Someone I knew lost a ton of weight doing that... diet and exercise too but moving during your down time should help. And get you a crazy nice butt/leg set up.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• cardio is supposed to be at least 30 min a day at least a few times a week, you should also do some sort of strength stuff too.
    find out how many calories you need to eat for how active you are
    there are calculators online- and the number will be higher than 1200 ;)

*I eat about 17-1800 a day now and work out 1-2 hours 5-6 days a week and I'm still losing (down 62 lbs so far)
    also, drink water
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• thats great Iz! i cut soda out years ago. fast food, we eat about 2-3 times a month. idk what else to do to lose these last 30 pounds! older- i use to run all the time when my parents lived here, i'd put my oldest (a baby at the time) to bed and they'd be here so i could run. now, im a single mom with 3 kids so i never have time to run. thats why i bought the elliptical i could just exercise with inside while they're doing whatever. i lost A LOT of weight when i ran. wish i still had some way to work that into my day!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2013

• *if you don't eat enough, it can kille the weight loss- because you will be in starvation
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• As a general rule, it's recommended you get 45-60 minutes of exercise that gets your heart rate up most days of the week (4-6 days).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2013