drug testing?

i read on another website asking about should you have to pass a drug test for any form of public assitance
i think that would be a good idea and possibly ease some of the abuse of the system. and before anyone starts bashing me for "hating on poor people", i get food stamps, and medicade for my kids, and wic. my husband works, but does not make enough to pay the bills AND buy food.
so, do you think drug testing for public assitance is a good idea? and why? and how would you do it?

bi-polarmommy

Asked by bi-polarmommy at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ohh, I'm torn on this one. It sounds great, but what happens when Daddy fails his drug test and his five kids don't get to eat that month?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it sounds like a pretty stellar plan.

I'm not sure exactly how I'd implement it. Maybe have them tested when they go to get their.....vouchers? Cards? Checks? I'm honestly not sure how that works.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Oh, that's true lovinangels. My mind hadn't gone there. If only there were a way to ensure that only the children got what they needed.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• well someone in the other post that i read this in said that if you fail your drug test, maybe CPS should take the kids.
    now i'm no fan of CPS, but i think it would be better than having a drug addict parent
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• How can you not be a fan of CPS?? They're there to help children.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• well where i live they drug test every child born in a hospital and then if it tests positive, then child services steps in so why wouldn't child services step in if the daddy failed his drug test. Because should children really be left with parents using drugs anyways.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Drug taking, drug addiction, alcoholism has destroyed so many lives. I work an actual job for a living, and I have never had a problem with random drug testing and no one gives me a check, I have to work for it. I think drug testing for those on govt assistance is a plausible idea, but how to implement it it is whole nother ball of wax. Maybe all members of the household, including the teens could be tested on a quarterly basis, maybe like a lottery. That way keeps the addicts guessing and doesn't give them time to clean up for a little while. I don't believe in just taking ones kids away willy-nilly if they are not being abused and neglected. Is really something difficult to think about...drug testing people on govt assistance. But I am sure the ACLU would come out with guns blazing about some civil right being violated...and yes, I am very much a Dem! We need something for the alcoholics too!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i can not be a fan of CPS when a social worker from CPS walks into my home and tells me i dont love my kids because there was no tile in the kitchen right at that time because we were re-doing it and had the kitchen blocked off! but i still didn't love or care for my kids because there was no tile in the kitchen!
    any institution that would condone such behaviour is NOT there to help ANYONE!!!!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:25 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• oh yes, and trying to take my kids away, again because there was no tile in the blocked off kitchen!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:26 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Ok, well those children that are being beaten by there parents are just SOL then i guess. I'm sure there was another reason for CPS to be there, too.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:27 PM on Feb. 17, 2009