• In the Spotlight:

Help....

How do i get my baby to sleep through the night she is 1 week and 2 days old and sometimes she keeeps me awake for 3 hours at night ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have a long ways to go! My baby didn't sleep through the night until she was 18months old and my son was 9 months old.
    Anonymous

• At 1 weeks your baby should NOT sleep all night. She needs to be fed every 2-4 hours depending on whether you are nursing or bottle feeding. if your baby is awake for three hours at night sleep around her schedule. She is too young to start trying to sleep train. Give her some time!
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 1 and she didnt sleep threw the night till she was 18 months old she is too young to sleep threw the night she needs be feed every 3 hours
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• lol, babies are NOT supposed to sleep through the night, get used to it hon. Babies wake up for a reason, they need to eat every 2-4 hours at that age. (Sometimes more depending on the baby)

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 10:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• do not make her sleep that long....I used to have to WAKE mine up every 2 hours to feed her and she started sleeping thru the nite at about 4 months and you have to remember that "thru the nite" for a baby is 5 hours and you cant guarantee that its going to be at nite. it takes them a while to figure that out too:) Its all part of being a mommy...no more beauty sleep!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:05 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• That's totally normal.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 12:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Babies wake up because they need to eat that often. Its something that you just have to suck it up and wait it out. You cant expect a newborn to sleep through the night. every baby is different. At about 6 weeks I started putting my son in his crib instead of his bass. and I would put him in there awake. He wouldnt fuss just watch his mobil until he fell asleep. And then he started sleeping from ten till 4am. And it slowly got longer and longer. Hes three months and sleeps till 7 or 8 am. But every baby is different, so please dont get your hopes up. The exhaustion is part of being a new mom. Thats why they tell you not to feel guilty about napping. Sleep whenever the baby does. This for me was hard cuz im always on the go with cleaning. I just went sleep deprived. And on my so's days off Id have him wake up and help out so I could catch some extra zzzs.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• OH a trick is. Not to wake them at night for feedings. But wake them at least every 3 to 4 hours during the day so they dont miss a feeding. Thats what my doc told me. And seemed to work for me.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• honey you have a ways to go... not all babies are blessed to start sleeping thru the night, even when they are two months old, babies cant do it.. they have to be taught and then they eventually get the hang of it... i have some sleep techniques in my journal that start at about 5 weeks... wait til then to try... babies wake up in the middle of the night because they are hungry and then dont go back to sleep right away because they dont know any better, they are not neurologically sound or made to do that... be patient and it will come when she's ready
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• That is normal. You still have a while before she will sleep through the night. Congratulations on your new baby girl!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009