Need HELP help...

I have previously been diagnosed w/ PTSD & 3 versions of anxiety disorders. I used to cut, I still hair pull. I last saw a therapist in 2008 and she was super overwhelmed by me and resorted to printing out 50+ pages of websites and wikipedia articles on stress relief and gave me rubber bands to tweak instead of hair pulling. I am overwhelmed as HELL right now in my life and in my marriage, I'm about to implode I think. We've moved from a big area to a small one sadly and there's only a small mental health clinic available with two therapists seeing adults there. Starting over seems daunting and trusting again after the wikipedia fiasco is awful, it feels like a waste of time. To pay for a sitter, drive there, risk neighbors seeing me, etc.... waste of time and copay money. Who do I ask for? I don't know what I need. wwyd?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2013 in Health

• You should consider trying the clinic. You might find a really good therapist who can help you. And you won't know if you don't try.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I agree with Ballad. It sounds like you had an experience with a really crappy therapist. That may happen again, but you might find a really great one at that clinic. It's worth a shot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• There are some therapists that have phone and skype sessions. Start looking on the internet to find some who do that, that way you're not confined to the therapists in your town. I recommend looking at their credentials carefully before you try one. You might not be able to get insurance to cover it, but at least you'd find a better therapist.  If the PTSD is related to being in the military or being a family member of a military member or veteran, you might be able to get free therapy through the Give An Hour network. I know several families that have used this service and some of the therapists do phone/Skype sessions since the therapists volunteer from all over the country.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• P.S. As far as I know, Give An Hour doesn't really thoroughly check to see if you're affiliated with the military or not and their site says that even extended family members are covered. However, you do need to explain who in your family has the military connection. You can use the directory to find therapists who participate, check out their website, and compare them before contacting them. You do have to fill out some paperwork as part of a confidentiality and therapy contract.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• http://www.freecounselinghelp.com/

http://www.mytherapycouch.com/free_online_therapy/

http://www.helppro.com/

Some therapists also donate 1 hour a week to clients who can't afford it. Their website usually mentions this.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Are you on antidepressants? They can cause major anxiety. So do anxiety meds. I am really into holistic cures. I've been down the prescription med path and it sucked. Drained the life right out of me and I wasn't myself. HUGS mama! I would take a shot at a new counselor too. Who cares if neighbors see you?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2013