Do you look outside when you hear some kind of an alarm go off?

Our neighbor's car was broken into, but she didn't bother to check on her car when the alarm went off. She parks her car like a block down since her family takes the spots in front of her house. She finally figured out it was her car like an hour later.

This got me thinking about some of the seniors in our neighborhood who have the panic alarms on them when they walk. If the alarm went off, would anyone look outside to be able to help or call the police?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I always hope people will look out if necessary, but I wonder. I have a child locator for my daughter, more in case someone grabs her because now she's old enough to tell me where she is, but I always figured if I had to, I could press the button on my keychain to set off the alarm, which is only good if people around where we are will hear it and respond.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I live on such a quiet street, in a very small town - so if I hear any noises out there, I think a bear is breaking into my car (again..) Even just cars that drive by get my attention.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I do this all the time, lived in the neighborhood for over 30 years and I know everyone, and they often ask me to keep an eye out when they go on vacation....

Answer by older at 6:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• also a quiet where we know every single family
    an alarm- i would be looking out
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Yes. We all need to look when alarms go off or what's the point of making them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• It depends on where it is. If it's distant, I don't really think about it, because I figure by the time I can get there, if something's wrong, either someone else will have gotten there first or they'll have gotten away (if it's someone breaking into a car or something). But if it's pretty close to my house, yes, I do look, or will even step outside to see if I can figure out where it is.

A couple weeks ago, my kids got stopped by our neighbor, she wanted to know if they'd seen her son. Couple hours later, they came home and told me she was still looking for him. So I went down to offer my help, turned out my kids were wrong. The boy was home, safe, sound and in serious trouble. lol Posted about it on FB, and people acted like I was some kind of hero for going down there. I was just thinking that if it was my kid missing, I'd like to think people would offer to help me. Guess I can see now that that wouldn't happen.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Yes because we live in a quiet neighborhood.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Yes because we live on a dead end road.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2013