What have you been most judged for in the parenting world?

right now I'm getting smack for a 7 year old in a five point harness... it's one of the more annoying judgements I've ever had to listen to complaints about. No she doesn't complain about being uncomfortable and no I don't care if she looks dorky. Flying thru a window is much less attractive.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Why is a seven year old in a harness? No smack, just curious.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I won't give you any smack for that. My 7 year old is in a 5-point, and he's perfectly happy there. The roads here are really dangerous and his safety matters. The cool factor doesn't. He tried out a high back booster for all of a day and wanted to go back to his 5-point.
    Let's see... I have gotten some grief for not ever having a babysitter, for being a stay at home mom, for never offering my kids a bottle. I got grief for co-sleeping with my oldest. My mother bitched me out for using disposable diapers. I have also been told I'm a horrible person for not doing the Santa or Easter Bunny things.

Whatever. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• You must have a small 7 year old!

I can't really think of anything I have gotten a whole lot of flack about. People feel I am a bit too strict with my kids when it comes to how much TV they watch and how much I expect them to play outside... but even then it's not a lot... I am often 'silently judged' by strangers in public when my son becomes over stimulated ot anxious triggering a melt down...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• if the child fits- great, more protection

I am a single mom of a child with autism, drive a crap car and live in a rich area where keeping up with the Jones is an Olympic sport
    not enough characters to list what i have been judged on
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• only one person has ever openly judged me and it was for allowing my kids to play with hair color starting at about 8ish
    then again, he was an ass an if anyone did anything differently than he did he thought they were somehow attacking him
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I mostly get judged for parenting with a disability. Again today, someone was chewing me out for having my daughter at the swimming pool without a sighted adult. Didn't matter that there were four other women there, along with the little boy who was playing with my daughter. Didn't matter that she had a life vest on, or that we kept up frequent voice contact so I knew where she was all the time. Didn't matter that I used to be a distance swimmer on the high school team and that if anything happened, I'd most likely get to my daughter before the one bitching me out finished saying, "Oh my God!" She's a special education teacher in the local district, no less, saying it wasn't really fair for my kid to have a blind mom because it would be a terribly limiting experience. And yet I shouldn't take her swimming by myself ... grrrr!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• i made her brother wait til he was 65 pounds, so making her wait too. If I had $600 right now (300 bucks per kiddo) I'd invest in some Britax seats and 5 point 'em til 85 pounds. We drive a great deal and also deer are a problem in our area so its a practical safety measure. This carseat thing has been more annoying to me than all the formula bitches at playgroups and other common mommy rudenesses
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Is that what a harness is?? LOL
    Sorry hibbing, I didn't realize you were talking about carseats!

God, I'm old!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• hibbing, When we were in our last car accident, I replaced my Nautilus seats with Britax Frontier 85 seats (the insurance covered it). They're big and comfortable. My oldest will be 11 in a week and could still be harnessed if he wanted. He's only 71 pounds. I keep waiting for him to have a growth spurt. And waiting.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• a harness is what they call the restraint system
    a 5 point comes over the shoulders and buckles at the groin- there is a bar that should sit a little higher than sternum level

a 3 point harness is what you wear- it goes across the lap and crosses the chest
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2013