What sets you apart and makes your family unusual or different than others? What's *YOUR* extreme parenting-ism?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2013 in Just for Fun

• single
    father not around at all anymore
    child has autism
    and i watch her, and will say things like...just one example
    when we are coming to the crosswalk at school, i tell my daughter to look at the crossing guard, what is he saying etc
    other moms much think i am TOO PROTECTIVE or LOOSEN THOSE APRON STRINGS
    but... daughter does not pick up clues from others, does not look at peoples faces and will just run on her "path" without thinking

so live with autism- then judge me
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I'm in my forties and the mother of a kindergartner, so a lot of the younger moms think I'm a fossil. My boyfriend is an older parent, too; this is his second family. His son, my stepson, is special needs and small for his age, so nobody believes he's seventeen. I'm also blind, so I do some things differently than other moms do. I'm more likely to scramble up on the climbing structure with my daughter at the playground if she wants me to than stand around chatting with the other parents.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I'm in my forties and the mother of a kindergartner
    me too !
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• No extremes here.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I teach my kids manners.
    I expect them to do what they are told.
    When they get bad grades, I do not blame the teacher.
    When my kids pitch temper tantrums, I punish them instead of giving them what they want to shut them up.
    My make them work and save their money for what they want.
    I make them clean up after themselves.

Unfortunately I get judged for this a lot. I am so sick of hearing:
    "Why make them work? They will have their entire lives to work. Let them be kids."
    "My child failed Math. It's his teacher's fault. She just doesn't like him."
    "It's just easier if I clean up their rooms."
    "I would rather a respectful 'yeah' than a sarcastic 'yes ma'am'."
    "I can't make him do what he's told."
    "If I tell her 'no' she is just going to do it anyway."

This unfortunately is a rarity nowadays and I have plenty of people that think I am too strict.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I don't feel I do anything to the "extreme". I'm divorced so, I'm a single parent. I don't bring my kids to church, or have them pray, or say grace. And, I *add* to anything religious they may see or hear, like "some people believe that, other's don't". EX: "Some people believe in Heaven". "Not everyone believes in God". I guess that's extreme for Texas.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• Razzle
    I didnt think I had anything to add to this thread until you mentioned manners

yeah- I get that too
    the way i was raised I thought everyone's first name was Mr. or Mrs.
    I once said (as an adult) "Yes sir" to someone and he jumped down my throat for being disrespectful :(

My kids call everyone Mr./ Mrs. first name because they (the adults) tend to say Mr./ Mrs. last name is their parents
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• We require our boys to live by these 3 things.
    Good attitude
    Good grades
    Good behavior
    They also have to use their manners everyday. There are consequences if they don't do these things, and they know what they are. Our boys also have daily chores, and have to do them. They also know they will NOT have a cell phone until they are driving age, and then they will have to earn that, and driving with all of the above. Our 16 yr old son knows we're serious when we check the grades daily, and if he has a D, or F entered on an assignment he loses his phone, and driving privilege for that day. So if he gets 3 D's entered, he's grounded for 3 days. With the younger 2, they lose TV, tablet, computer, and video games for the day. Our boys know they have to earn what they get, and they do NOT get an allowance. We don't believe in giving them a sense of entitlement. In the real world no ones going to pay them just because they're there,
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I have my 6yr old call my friends Miss Hibbingmom, Miss Ballad, Miss QuinnMae etc., I don't know any other kids that do that and my sister hated it that he did that, she thought it was disrespectful to my son to make him call people that, I thought it was being respectful to adults.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2013

• I don't see it as being extreme, I see it as being an active parent.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2013