Am i obligated to provide his lawyer with the evidence i plan on using at trial?

im the original OP of this question 

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1339219/Do_i_even_bother_bringing_this_up_in_court

i got a letter from my ex's attorney yesterday that i need to provide them copies of whatever evidence i plan to use at trial. i was able to screenshot my SIL's instagram photos of her and her drug usage. i also have facebook messages between my ex and i where he admits that she smokes pot in the house (the one im trying to keep the judge from letting my kids go to) and what a shitty person she is. its not that i want to drag her name through the mud, its just that she lives in his house and i need to prove that its an unstable environment. i also need to prove that his mom is irresponsible also as a supervisor for the visitations because she let the kids go with him (a convicted felon/child abuser) and the SIL (the stoned pothead). 

the trial is for our divorce. the judge will make a decision about visitation. i dont want to give his lawyer all of ths information, but am i obligated to? 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Relationships

• Call your Lawyer & let him handle it. You need Professional Legal advise. We are not Attorneys. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• i cant afford a lawyer, no pro bono ones in my area, and i dont qualify for legal aid.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I will bump your question but I always thought that if you cannot afford an Attorney in a divorce there is a way for you to get your future Ex to pay for one for you. Can you just go in for a Legal consult (sometimes they are free) & ask a Divorce Attorney some questions?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I thought that rule was only for criminal cases. Divorce is a civil case. What state are you in?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Yes. It also has to be filed with the courts. Do some research on your local court system to find out the rules. Usually he evidence has to be submitted a certain amount of time before the court date. You can represent yourself but its going to take a little work. Here I know the clerks that work in the family court office are very helpful as well.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I'm going to say yes you do...
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Yes
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Yes. It's called discovery I believe.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• do i have the right to request the same thing?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Yes, you do have the right to request the same thing of their side.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2013