Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I also have a child in special education. He is entering 9 grade. I don't want him to recieve a Special Ed diploma, so I saw to his classification being changed this year from 8-2-1 to 12-1-1. Next year, if he does well, hopefully he will move to general education classes. That way he will gset the diploma he deserves. Right?

Answer Question

Asked by beaMom123 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I have been living this as a SPED co-teacher for the past year. My student insisted on getting a regular diploma but she is not capable at this this time. Things were going along ok on the diplomas track until she hit her JR year where she is not so much taking in info ans spitting it back out but having to analyse the info and use higher thought processes to accomplish her work. It's been a nightmare all involved!!

    This needs to be handled on the IEP. If he's not already in general ed classes you need to get him in there from the start of 9th grade or the diploma with have to say that modifications were made!! You need to clearly state this in his IEP meeting, make sure it's listed in the paperwork that a regular diploma is the goal!! If you don't under stand something MAKE THEM clarify it for you!!

    Be prepared... it's going to be a lot work for you at home helping out w/the sheer amount of homework he'll have in HS!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • I'm not sure what that classification means. Here in NC we have two options to receive a diploma - college track or occupational course of study (OCS). Most students that receive/have received special education services use the OCS. Both come out with a traditional diploma but have different requirements. My son is in a special education classroom and will only receive a certificate when he finishes highschool.
    You need to talk with his teachers and the administration at his school. They will be able to give you a clearer picture. I would have imagined they would have gone over this in his IEP???

    Answer by missanc at 11:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • (Sorry for the typos... Did that on my phone!!)

    Answer by Crafty26 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • I'm not sure how things are where you live, but I was in special education throughout public school and received a high school diploma identical to everyone else's. It didn't have any particular notation for special education on it at all.

    Answer by Ballad at 2:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • find out from the iep either regular diploma or special he planning on college because he will have to pass a ged test for college with special daughter is in the autism program at her school and has been on regular diploma since the 4th prepared for the homework load to increase with regular diploma.

    Answer by michaux at 4:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Thank you so much for all your comments. I will take suggestions to heart. Homework overload, I'm already experiencing that -- no fun!

    Comment by beaMom123 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2014

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.