Omg pigeons

Okay, I get that this is probably funny from an outsider perspective but I have a serious pigeon issue

I just moved to an apartment that has a lovely, large deck. However, about ten pigeons have staked their claim to it. They are not the least bit frightened of me. They are not the least bit frightened of my cat. They swoop at me, land on the table while I'm eating, poop everywhere.

Is there a humane way to evict them?

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 11:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• My neighbor hangs foil tins in her garden to scare birds off, might work for them (like old pot pie tins when they were foil. She cuts up disposable roasting pans) Pokes a hole near the edge, hangs them from fishing line, the wind knocks them around and the sun reflects off them. Not sure how much breeze you get on your balcony, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• The only way I know it to put up netting. The ceramic studio at my college had a pigeon problem. They roosted right above the door, so when ever anyone opened the doors, it was a sign for those rotten little beasts to shit on that person's head. The school tried everything, nothing worked. Finally they put up the netting and the pigeons left. It has been 8 or years and just this last semester the pigeons came back... only this time they tried to build a nest in the stack of the kiln...Bad Idea. Before they could lay eggs, the professor turned the kiln on and burned the beginning of the nest out. So far they haven't come back.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I get a pretty good breeze so I'll try that AND the netting. One of them had a nest one floor down. Those hatched and now they and their parents and a few of their closest friends moved upstairs to me. They're gross because you can see bugs just crawling on a couple of them. *shudder*

Okay, thanks guys. I'll try those suggestions and see if they work
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Supposedly the are afraid of owls. People put out large plastic owl figures to repel them. I think they sell them at Hardware Stores.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:09 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• they**
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• i have a similar problem and found this article really helpful

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• If you have a flat-topped rail along the deck, it's the perfect place for those pesy birds to perch. You might look into different trim you could put on the rail, textured so it doesn't make for good perching. A lot of buildings around here do that, make balconies with slats that extend up past the top of the rail every few inches to keep the birds from settling.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• The problem isn't that they settle on the rail; they bypass the rail entirely to sit at my table :( I really think it's going to have to be netting and foil.
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• we've been having terrible pigeon issues, too. no fear of humans or even survival instinct. they're too either mentally disturbed or lazy to even move if we poke them with a broom stick

one was in the garage w/ my husband just last week. the bird walked in thru the man door like he owned the place and stayed, creepily watching, as my husband changed some fluids. it let my husband touch it, it never moved. it's the 2nd bird my neighbor water boarded because we're convinced they have a brain disease at this point. they've given up on life... no fight
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2013