Give your baby the dad's last name?

I recently found out that I was pregnant, and after telling the father of the baby he wants nothing to do with the baby or I. Should I still give the baby his last name and put him on the birth certificate or should I use my own and leave him off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Baby Names

• Can you put him on the certificate, but give the child your name??? That will make it easier when you file for the child support his child DESERVES!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I say leave him off. If he is not willing to be an active participant... then he doesn't deserve the privilege of giving the baby his name.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2013

• give the baby your last name and dont put him on the BC. in my state, they will find him regardless of whether or not he's on the BC. it makes it easier if you have his SSN though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• NO, fathers name
    give the child your last name!!!

i made that mistake
    ------------------------------------

bc- either way, even if he is on bc, you are not married to him in 48 of 50 states you have 100% rights until he files in court for some and then a DNA test(most likely)
    ---------
    i know you think this sucks now, but better no father from start, then him ditching after child bonds with him
    Anonymous

• In many states you can't even put him on the birth certificate unless a) you are married or b) he signs an acknowledgement of paternity.

So just put your last name as the baby's and take him to court for Child support

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Find out your state's laws about putting his name on the birth certificate. Some states will allow you to give the baby your last name, while including on the birth certificate as a way of naming him as the father.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• and when you file for cs, it makes 0% difference if he is on bc, and certainly last name will not matter

a court ordered DNA test will
    Anonymous

• Give the child your last name. If he eventually comes around and you two are able to co-parent together and he wants the child to have his last name, then you can revisit the idea.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Hell no. Why would you even consider it?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I would NOT!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:16 PM on Jun. 16, 2013