Herb (Mint) planting question

I don't know much about gardening or plants. I use alot of mint. And it's pretty expensive in the stores where I live. So I bought a small mint plant from a farmer's market and got a few stems from my friend's yard as well (she had a whole lot of those growing like crazy).
So I got miracle gro potting soil and had a medium size potting plant at home. Now this pot doesn't has a hole or opening at the bottom so excess water can leak. Is it important to have a pot like that for mint? Any other advice regarding this plant would be really helpful. Thanks

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

• It is important to have drainage for any plant that you want to keep alive.
    Get a pot with a hole. Mint is like a weed. It will grown happily where ever it wanders with some good sun and water.
    You might ask your friend for hands on gardening help
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:47 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Every pot needs a drainage hole or the roots will rot. Water only when soil gets dry looking. It's very easy to grow & if you put it in the ground it will spread like crazy, It's a perennial.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• In my experience, all plants do better if there is a way for excess moisture to drain from the pot. You can get a nice pot for a few bucks that will allow this
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Mint grows like a weed. You can drill or poke a hole into the bottom. You will need the hole, but in the meantime, you can just water it less. If you don't have a drill, you can try to use a big nail and a hammer to make the hole.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:05 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Drill a hole in the bottom if you can't do that add a layer of rocks in the bottom then soil.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Mint is the easiest thing in the world to grow. The trick, in fact, is keeping it where you planted it because if you put it in a flower bed, it will take over every inch and beyond. Can you just make drainage holes in the pot?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Thanks everyone. I'll probably just buy another pot. True, they're pretty cheap. I already had this one at home, someone gave me a flower plant gift or something. It's a beautiful ceramic pot, and it might even break if i drill a hole in it.
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jun. 16, 2013