Please calm my nerves :)

Baby is 16 mos and still not talking.
Please, tell me your kid was a late talker.

His hearing is fine and he understands so much that I have begun spelling words.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 12:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine didn't want to. His first word was "quack", in reference to his rubber ducky. Now we can't stop him, he narrates his life.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I can say from experience that boys reach milestones later than girls. Maybe he just is a quiet kid. Hang in there, he is still so young. Does he make sounds or babble while he plays?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:39 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• My middle daughter didn't talk for FOREVER. Finally my doctor told me that it was because her older sister anticipated her every need, rendering the need for speech obsolete :)

When I started encouraging her to ask me herself for things, her speech took off.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• yep :) its probably fine. i was concerned about my middle daughter who didn't really talk a lot until 21 months! i had her seen by a speech therapist and literally the day after the floodgates opened. she is 4 1/2 now and damn does she talk lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• My youngest was a late talker. Once he started talking he has good vocabulary, sentence structure and word choice. He does need speech therapy for articulation but is speaking perfectly fine now.

Is he saying any words? Or using words for objects even if you can't understand him?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:03 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• My oldest DS was a late talker. At 18 months old, he spoke 5 words. Mama, Daddy, shoes, juice, and cheese. The last 3 all sounded the same and came out 'choose'. At 19 or 20 months, I visited his ped and told him my concerns, and he told me to start a list of all the words my son was now currently using, because it was probably more than I realized. It wound up being somewhere upwards of 50+. My son didn't begin talking with single words really - he started with full sentences.

I suggest if you're worried, talk to your child's doctor to help ease your nerves.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Start paying attention to the "words" he uses for different objects. If he is labeling things with the same sounds consistently...then he is talking. You just don't understand his language yet. This is a useful article about language and babies.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• It seems to me that if they are more physically developed (walking early, etc) they are slower to talk. My cousins daughter was talking very early (she was a preemie, too) but it took her longer to crawl, walk, etc. My son was walking at 9 months but he didn't say a whole lot till later. I think the only time you really have to worry is if everything seems delayed, they're not exploring and learning and seem stuck.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:11 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• if you are thinking/leaning towards autism spectrum
    think of it as lack or delay in communication not just speech

does he point to things he wants?
    does he resist being held?
    seek out firm touch but shy away from light touch?
    over the top issues with food or clothing?
    stare at lights, spinning fans ?
    line things up- almost OCD like?
    rather play by himself than with/next to peers?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:25 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• my DS didnt really talk until about 18 months. everyone just kept telling me that boys are slower at that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2013