Do you teach your children how to respect animals?

Holy Fucking Shit!!! My idiot brother brought his kids to visit my dad (who lives next door to me, (about 100 ft from my house is his). Well....my brother let his kids come over into my yard, into my barn, to see my horses and dogs. Well....one of his kids got bit by my new redbone hound b/c she was trying to get one of the puppies out of the stall...My brother called fucking animal control on my dog! I didn't know they were out there until I heard his daughter scream and him yelling. I was busy studying for my biology test..anyway the animal control officer didn't even write a report b/c my brother was basically trespassing onto my land b/c he didn't have permission to be here. My brother is mad at me! WTF?! I mean, if he'd teach his kids how to properly deal with animals, it wouldn't have happened. I hate idiots who blame the animal when they are the one at fault!!!

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Pets

• 1st- I hope that your niece wasn't bitten too severely. Hopefully it was just a warning nip.
    2nd- your brother should not be coming onto your property without an invitation
    3rd- your brother needs to use this as a teachable moment about what went wrong in that barn & make sure it never happens again
    4th- I hope you are able to take the time to cool off & reconcile your differences w/ him (it was wrong of him to involve animal control)
    5th- Hopefully the niece will get another chance to properly play w/ a puppy in order to have a positive experience w/ the animals :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I don't know how close you guys are but in a BARN i'd be right on top of my kids.... what if there was a dead rat or a barn mouse in a trap? rusty nails, any number of dangers. I would hover like crazy and supervise their every move. the trying to reach for a pup should never have happened. I wonder if he OK'd it and feels like a dope for a kid getting hurt on his watch

at almost 9 I would hope you wouldn't do something without explicit permission from a grown up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Your brother is a moron. He should have been right there with his daughter, not letting her touch those puppies. My little girl has learned from toddlerhood to pet animals nicely, approach slowly, and not chase or pester them when they show that they want to be left alone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:44 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I would be pissed that he thought he could just come over without letting you know. I would be even more pissed that he called animal control on your dog after he let his daughter do something stupid.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• depends on kids age........ and I am glad u didn't get in trouble. I'd be mad and irritated he wasn't supervising properly. It's animals 101 you leave young and nursing animals be.

My kids are presently 8 and 7. For all of their life my in laws have had newfoundland dogs who in the lazy sedentary parts of winter sometimes creep up to 190+ pounds. and my parents have an under 3ish pound teacup dog. so they had to learn early on about variety of animals and safety, compassion, etc

son rides horses now and his learning is bumped into over drive that sometimes animals just don't do what you want them to :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• There are so many things wrong with what happened. Come on your property without permission, bother a dog with puppies, and then freaking call animal control because neither of them have any sense (father and child). You're damn right I would be pissed about that. My dd has known since she was a toddler not to bother animals, ask permission to pet a strange dog, be gentle and caring, etc. I pride myself on raising my child to be great with animals and to love, respect and care for them. That's unacceptable what happened to your dog on your property without your permission. I would get a No Trespassing sign or dog warning sign (just to cover your ass just in case they try to pull this shit again). I would hope you get an apology from him over this, but he sounds like an idiot who thinks you're in the wrong and he's in the right.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• This is a tough position. My 6yr old knows how to be gentle with dogs, but he has never encountered a dog with puppies so I am not sure if he would know to leave the pups alone. BUT, your niece has known about the puppies and I would assume you told her to stay away and she did not listen to you, because if I knew my 6yr old might be in contact with pups I would be sure to let him know that he needs to say away from mom and pups unless an adult is around. Tough situation.

I hope your niece is OK and this isn't something that puts a rift in the family.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• Your brother is a moron, and you are right the child is old enough to know better.

@hibbingmom, had it been my child and my home and he was 9 I would not be right on top of them. My son at 5 knows not to touch a dead animal and if we had a barn and other animals he would know how to act around etc. I grew up around stuff like this and never got hurt. It's life and kids adjust to whatever life they are living in(with the help of parental teaching) and learn to move about and play without getting hurt. I would expect my child to be able to go out into the barn and not get into anything they were not allowed to.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• It's family. Work it all out so everyone especially the children will have a better understanding about animals.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• I have taught my kids not to approach strange animals that they don't know or that aren't familiar with them. They have chased the wild bunnies in my back yard, but they have no chance in hell of catching them. They know not to go and bother animals without permission from the owners.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2013