My 7 year old is having problems with friends

My daughter came to me tonight and asked if she could "talk to me". She started crying and said that she is losing her friends and that she is being pushed away from her friends because one of the girls doesn't like her that likes the other girls. I know this is a part of growing up, but I couldn't grab the right words to give her. I know kids can be mean and we talked a little bit about what to do or say in this situation. But it's been a long time since I have been 7. I am in desperate need of brilliant ideas of how she can best handle this situation.

heatherwi

Asked by heatherwi at 10:53 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow! Kids are sooo horrible-I'm sorry. The only thing I can tell you is That you have to make it clear to her that she needs to stand up for herself or else she will always be the person left out.
    Good luck, I'm sorry I don't have more for you.

Anonymous

• I agree she has to stand up for herself. I also think, and this might be hard for her, she has to try and not let them know it it bothering her. If she lets this girl, the one that does not like her, see she is upset then the girl is going to continue to bug her. Maybe she can try playing with a different group of kids or something like that.

Lastly, she could try talking to the girls she is friends with. This may help it may not.

Good Luck and I am sorry she is feeling so sad right now.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2009