solids...

when you gave your LO solids did you puree fresh veggies or buy jars? and why? Just deciding on what to do...up to this point I have bought organic avocados and pureed myself while adding BM but now that I want to try a new veggie I am just deciding what to do. She is 6 months old.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 10:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I make my own. Its great because you have so much control over texture. You can make each batch slightly thicker and lumpier than the last. Homemade baby food is healthier. Baby food companies have to cook the fruits and veggies at such high temperatures (to avoid any potential lawsuits) that they end up cooking out a lot of the nutrients. Plus, you can make a lot more variety than is provided in jarred foods. You can also do your own mixtures and start adding spices when the time is right. You can really introduce baby to a lot of variety early on. Its also cheaper. Invest in some ice cube trays and make good size batches.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I always bought the jars, but i wish i would have done it myself, but jars are easier and they also have great nutrientinal value
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i would say it is healthier and cheaper to do it yourself with organic vegetables and add breastmilk. My daughter is 8 months old and still EBF
    KiaiMomma

Answer by KiaiMomma at 11:17 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i usually make my own, but we sometimes get jar baby food as "backup". personally, i kind of enjoy making foods for my son...it's fun, and i know exactly why he's getting. i've noticed, when i've tasted some jar foods, that a lot of them are weirdly bland. i don't know why, but the homemade stuff seems to have more flavor. or maybe i'm just biased. ;-) anyhow, i bought a mini food processor (holds 3 cups), and it's perfect for making small batches.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i just offer small bits of the same food we are eating.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009