My three year old son snores, breathes only through his mouth, and he doesnt talk as clearly as his twin brother.his ped sent us to an ENT DR and he has suggested we have his adenoids and tonsils removed. Can anyone who has had these procedures done on themselves or their kids please share their experiences so I can make an informed decision. Thank You

duaneshoney

Asked by duaneshoney at 10:59 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• well i had my tonsils taken out when i was three, not for snoring though. i barely remember anything about it. my guess is, that if it's recommended, do it sooner rather than later... less traumatic.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• My nephew had this done and it worked wonders for him. His speech improved quickly:)
    Anonymous

• i have had my tonsils removed at 15yrs old, and my tonsils were so swollen i couldn't breath. everything went fine with the surgery, just make sure he is not sick with a cold or flu when he goes in, doing surgery when your imune system is done can be bad. but he will be better without them if there causing problems
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• my friends daughter had hers removed when she was 3, shes perfectly fine. im not sure what the reason was
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:11 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We never hesitated to do this for our child. And it helped him considerably. He is breathing better, has more energy, less stuffy, gets less infections now, and his speech has improved. The actual procedure took 20 minutes. I didn't even have time to eat in the cafeteria. Before the surgery they gave him some medication to calm and relax him so they could do the prep. 20 minutes after surgery I was allowed to go into the recovery room and hold him. He has a tiny bit of crusty blood around the nose but nothing horrible. He was groggy, crying, and needed comforting. We took him home shortly after and he never needed the pain medication. He ate lots of soft foods, mostly had liquids, and slept a good deal. I don't regret it and find it was the best thing we could have done for him given his medical issues.

Anonymous

• My DD was 2.5-3 when she had her tonsils and addnoids removed. She would snore and have a lot of ear infections. Then when i just took her for her checkup the doc noticed that her tonsils were swollen and she wasnt sick. She referred me to an ENT. We went for one visit, he said her tonsils were huge, and we scheduled the day. We went to childrens hospital the people were very nice they talked to her and made her very comfortable then took her in. I didnt even have time to get a cup of coffee the doc came out said she was fine. The hardest part was after the surgery becuase she was so out of it from the anesthesia. She pretty much slept the whole day but when she woke up she cried b/c her throat hurt and she didnt understand. The next day was a whole lot better and she got to eat all the popsicles she wanted. She is almost 6 and she is fine.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 8:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'm a pediatrics nurse, so I can tell you what I see from my side of things.
    Usually children do GREAT! They have some pain afterwards but it can be well controlled with pain medications. Children don't have complications very often, and when they do they are minimal and usually just require observation over night. - complications- refusing to drink, vomiting, needing oxygen afterwards
    Most children with very large tonsils do MUCH better. The snoring improves, they sleep better, and with it impacting his speech it should get better too.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I just had my tonsils removed about a year ago and it was the best thing I ever had done. I was constantly getting strep and tonsilitis and there were times that I couldn't eat because nothing would go down. I also used to have a really bad snoring problem. My husband no longer complains that I keep him up by snoring. Having them taken out was such an easy decision. Recovery was very quick and I didn't have any pain what so ever.
    JessicaWelman

Answer by JessicaWelman at 3:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My ds had too many ear infections and my dh, the doctor and I were also concerned about whether there would be any hearing loss. We had tubes put in ds's ears, which helped alot. At the same time, the doctor took out his adenoids. Our experience with the surgery was pretty much the same as Anonymous. Our ds was able to breathe much better because his adenoids are gone. As a matter of fact, he is unable to snore :-) Having my son going through the surgery was scary. Everything turned out just fine and it was what was best for him.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have a daughter who is 2yrs and our doc suggested the same thing. Actually she had congestion since birth but they kept blowing me off & chalking it up to a cold. But now since she is 2yrs, they want me to see an ENT doc. Same thing...she stores, sounds like she's talking through her nose, and when she's congested from a cold.....it takes forever to go away.
    So please, once you have it done, let me know how it went. As I am not sure my DD is bad enough that I want to get that done at only 2 yrs.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009