Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am wondering if I have any visitation rights to see my nephew for a few weeks or a month during the summer?

This is my sisters son. But she got sick with breast cancer and passed Way. She never married the father of hdr child but they lived together until she passed away. She sas giving me custody of her son but then said she changed her mind and felt that the father would step up and do the right thing at the last minute. I love this child. I always vistited him we even took him in the summerd to stay with US and on vacation. We mu nephes was younger my sister. Left he boyfriend. She and my nephew lived here and my husband and I supported them. The boyfriend had a drinking and drug problem. Thsts why she left. I promised my sister I would look after him and make sure he was taken care of. Almost year ago the boyfriend lied and said they were going to Florida for vacation. He picked up my nephee from my house last august 20th 2012. Haven't seen him since. I'm trying to get my nephew up here for a visit please help

Answer Question

Asked by pleasehelpme66 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2013 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • legally,no

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • I'm so sorry. I don't know of any legal course of action you can take, but depending on the state, your parents may be able to acquire grandparent rights if the father can be declared unfit.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by DJDNY at 9:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Not unless you have a court order.
    You would need some verification as to your sister's wishes for any chance at custody and blood will generally win over sibs, since they were living together.
    It might get some pull as to visitation. Have you tried to contact the father?

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Legally, no you don't.

    Answer by kmath at 9:53 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Not unless you fight for rights through the courts

    Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Also he moved to Florida without telling us. My nephew lost his mom then was uprooted from all the family he knew. Myself my husband my 2 boys that he is very close to (my boys are 13 &16). My nephew is 10. He wants to come up he really misses my whole family. Ob there is also my brother his wife and daughter eho is 9. Then my mom and step dad. They lived in my moms house next door and he wasn't paying rent. The boyfriend never kept a job or worked. You can check his reords fof that. Please help me to do wants right for this lil boy sho needs stability in his life and needs loved. Thanks for listening. Please hell answer my question.

    Comment by pleasehelpme66 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Your question has been answered. You don't have any rights to your nephew. You can try to fight in the courts for rights, but you need to speak with a lawyer. The child's father has no obligations to tell you anything.

    Answer by kmath at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • You have no rights. Sorry.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

  • Ask a lawyer. I know grandparents can sometimes get visitation rights because an old high school friend of mine gave up a child and his grandparents fought for the chance to see him every few weeks. I don't know about an aunt, though. Check into it.

    Answer by Ballad at 10:23 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.