Summer fun... on a budget???

I'm currently unemployed, receiving unemployment but its not much. I want to come up with some fun non expensive summer activites for my son. The other day we had a lemonade stand, which he loved! I need some more ideas though. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Slip-n-slide!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• How old is your son?

Bubbles, sidewalk chalk, water guns, water balloons, going to parks, picnics in your own front yard, ladybug/butterfly/caterpillar hunts, running through the sprinkler, making collages with leaves and other things from nature.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:38 PM on Jun. 16, 2013

• All of the above, check your local libraries, parks and museums for special summer activities, very often they will have art projects, or special events that are very affordable or even free.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• VBS is going on right now. My 6 yr old loves it. The library has a summer reading and movie program going on too.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 2:35 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• If you have a Regal Cinemas in your town, they have their Summer Movie Express going on. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10am, you can see a G or PG rated movie for $1 each. The movies aren't brand new, but they're not ancient either. Last week, we saw Ice Age: Continental Drift and The Three Stooges. This week, it's a Wimpy Kid movie and Parental Guidance. It's a really great deal.

We also go to the lake about 5 miles from our house (we have a pool, but we go with friends). We check out the library to see if they have anything going on, and sometimes our homeschooling group gets together to do crafts or something like that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:51 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Library has free programs.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:03 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Check out the movies. We have tons of theaters in town, 4 that are showing different movie deals on Tues and Wed mornings for free or very cheap.
    One summer my kids and I made a list of every park in our county (from the Parks and Recreation Department). We made it a mission to visit every one at least once. It was great fun and we learned a lot. One of the our county parks has an education center and they put on free nature programs on certain days for elementary age kids.
    Barnes and Noble has a reading program where if you read enough books you can get a free one!

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• free kid bowling if there's an AMF nearby

pools lakes parks
    whatever you're making for lunch toss into a cooler and eat it elsewhere
    make TONS of juice pops. seed spitting contests. dollar store squirt guns

drive in movie theater
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2013