Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Advice needed on house insurance...

I had a kid get hurt on our trampoline recently. We don't have home owners insurance, or whatever it's called. I'm curious how it's calculated, what it basically covers, etc. Is it best to combine it with our car insurance company?

Any advice or thoughts?

Answer Question

Asked by PandaGwen at 2:43 AM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Home & Garden

Level 24 (20,747 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If you go with standard homeowners insurance, it covers your home and personal property against damage. For example, it will cover fire, or a tornado etc. It also will cover vandalism, theft, and also will cover heating and air conditioning systems. Then you have personal liability coverage. It will against a lawsuit resulting from bodily injury or property damage to others. Homeowners also protects you from getting sued because someone got hurt like the kid you are talking about. Homeowners also pay for any medical attention that person will need, but you and your family will not be covered if you get hurt. Then get you get replacement coverage. This is where its gets expensive, but it will cover the current cost to replace damaged goods. Like if you lost a pearl necklace and at the time it cost $200 10 yrs ago, and today it may worth $800 to replace it.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:04 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

  • As for combining homeowners and car insurance is to just ask your car insurance agent. And heres a site that you can calculate it with.


    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:12 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

  • MI-Mom pretty much covered it. I do know things like trampolines could cause your rates to be higher b/c of the liability risks. Hopefully the child wasn't hurt too severely. In OH, you HAVE to have homeowners insurance when you are buying a home. It's recommended to have renters insurance if you aren't buying. Most places will give you a break if you combine w/ your auto. So do some checking. After being w/ Nationwide for over 20 years, we switched to State Farm about 3-4 years ago b/c they offered cheaper rates.  GL


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

  • I don't have any idea how they compute things but I know your rates will be frantically high if you have trampolines in the house. I think it would be better to get a quote first or you can check out to give you an idea about the cost.


    Answer by breadroll at 8:38 AM on Jun. 25, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.