Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Need help with filling out W4

I'm starting a PT job tomorrow and I've never had to fill out a W4 since I've been married and had a child. I have no idea how to do it. My husband works FT. Can someone help me figure this out and put it into simple terms? Thanks in advance!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (3)
  • Most of the info they ask for is straight forward. The only thing you have to decide is if you want to claim 1 or 0. If you claim 0 they take out more taxes but you get a bigger refund later. If you claim 1, they take out less taxes, but refund is smaller.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

  • It depends on how much your total income will be when included with your husband's income and how many he claims. Your objective is to end the year not owing much but not getting much back either. Why give the government your money all year? I suggest starting with 0 or 1. Other then the amount you are claiming the form is basic information.

    Answer by Keksie at 7:22 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

  • I would claim 1 or 0. That means more taxes will be taken out of each pay check but you'll get the biggest refund possible when you file your taxes. If you don't care about the refund and would rather have a little more each pay check you could claim 2 or 3 but depending on how much you make you run the risk of owing taxes when you file.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.