How can I make a convertible car seat fit in my car?

I have a 1988 Cutless Ciera and I can't get a convertible car seat to fit rear facing in my car. If I put my son's car seat in the middle seat the seat belt buckle ends up under his left thigh and I can't lock it into the car seat (I bought a First Years True Fit). The only option that I can come up with is to have a new seat belt system installed and that will cost $300 per seat. Is there something else that I can do?

Quayla

Asked by Quayla at 11:06 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You always want to try the seat in your car before you buy it. If you have the reciept you can return it and try some others. Otherwise I don't know what to tell ya. Whatever you do, make sure its safe. Any amount you have to spend is worth your childs safety.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:15 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• It is not just the True Fit that is made that way, it is all convertible carseats. When my first was a baby convertible car seats strapped in just like infant seats without the base. Now you run the seat belt under their legs. Since I have an older vehicle the seat belt adjuster is in the way. While I agree that a childs safety is paramount and I will have to somehow find a way to get a new seat belt system if that's what it takes it seams that there may be another way. I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't have left any other options for people with cars more than ten or fifteen years old (if so, why don't I hear others complaining about it or talking about solutions?). While $300 may not be all that much money for some people it really is to me and it's not an expense I anywhere near saw coming.
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 11:37 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i also have a true fit...its just a really big seat but i love it. its a tight fit in my car too. will it fit on the passengers side?
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The problem is not the way it fits in my car. It is a tight fit but it's fine. The problem is not being able to properly lock the seat belt in because the buckle is in the way. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Should I just not lock the seat belt in? Will my son be okay with the buckle underneath him?
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 11:41 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Hmmmm doesn't seem right. They have a few nice car seat safety boards on here... I would check those out. They have car seat techs on them even. I go there with all of my questions and they have always been able to help... AND you would be able to post pictures of what you mean which would be more helpful.
    Good choice with the True Fit, I've only heard rave reviews on it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2009