Indiana woman about to be released from prison, after stabbing a Bible School teacher to death as a teenager adult content

http://www.ibtimes.com/paula-cooper-indiana-woman-put-death-row-16-killing-bible-school-teacher-be-released-1308991#

This woman should've had her sentenced changed from the death penalty to life in prison. She has been in trouble 23 times while serving time. And she got a free BA degree while in jail. (thank you tax payers in Indiana) While that may be commendable that she says she wants to turn her life around, I think something is seriously wrong w/ a person who could do that to another human being. To stab an elderly woman 33 freakin times tells me she needs to be locked up like the animal she is! What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• anyone who murders, rapes or molest should never see the light of day again and should not be allowed to go to college while in prison.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I read about her yesterday. I can't say I would be pleased if that elderly woman was my grandma. I'm not sure about sentencing the girl to death either. I think since was sentenced to death, there is something wrong with releasing her... ever. Stabbing someone 33 times in the course of a robbery is just not excusable.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• The article says the victim's family is among those trying to help her adjust and find a job when she gets out, and among those who had her death sentence commuted due to her age. Seems awfully vindictive to demand harsher when the woman's own family is not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:01 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• mrsmom I am with you. She has been in trouble since the murder multiple times so the people in her community are at risk with her out. The victims family sound like very forgiving and kind people but that doesn't mean the crime should be forgotten and a murdered let loose back in society.
    healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 12:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Damn.. I remember when that happened because my Grandpa and his wife lived in Glen Park too. Not far away because we used to have to drive past where she lived to get to their house.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Disturbing. I would be very worried if one of my loved ones lived in the community where she is to be released. I don't think a violent tendency like that ever leaves a person completely.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Now days, minors cannot get a life sentence because it violates their 8th amendment right on cruel and unusual punishment. But if arrested for 1st degree murder, then its their ass when they go to prison and get the life sentence..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I'm not sure about sentencing the girl to death either.
    Answer by tessiedawg 29 minutes ago

^^^Yeah, I know in OH, if the person is under 18, the death penalty is off the table. Even if they are certified as an adult, the most they can get is life in prison. I think that's what should've happened in this woman's case.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• ^^^Izsarejman- Yeah, I'm betting you don't forget something like that! I'm also betting there's a lot of people in the community w/ good memories too. She may be better off staying put.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• ^^^Well NP, I guess I am just not as forgiving. I'm looking at the severity of what she did, plus that she had been in trouble while in jail, 23 times, just time times less than she stabbed that poor woman! I think more time is warranted, IMHO.

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2013