My controlling ways are getting in the way.

I find myself being so controlling, wanting everything to be so perfect that I never have a good time and its starting to effect my child. Ex: don't want him to get too dirty or touch "yucky things", he's a kid, I know, he's going to get dirty, i know, and a lot of the times I pull back and let him, but my head is spinning with the thoughts of bathing him and how he might get the furniture dirty! I adore and love him so much and I don't want my ways to effect him, I want him to be normal and enjoy life. Also I get anxious when we are getting ready to go some where and he's messing up the house, because I know I'll have to clean it (because I can't leave my house dirty) and I will be late. I so badly want to let go of my controlling habits! I let him be a kid but its hard for myself to not get anxiou about those certain things...I'm tired of feeling this way, and I'm worried that he notice my anxiety and it will rub off on to him. Any suggestions on how to better myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• Talk to your doctor. There are ways to help with OCD tendencies.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Well, if you you can see the things you wrote about, you can fix them. Being aware of the issue is the first step. If you find you continue to hold him back or just can't let you need for neatness relax, you may need to speak to a counsellor to help you. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:40 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• There are coping techniques that will help you work around it, but that involves therapy, so contact a psychologist (or your doctor if your insurance requires a referral). If it's interfering in your family's life that much, you need to deal with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:54 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Dirt is good for you and your child. It helps build up immunities.
    Think of it as a positive thing.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2013