Brave 5 yr old girl sets up "peace" lemonade stand across from WBC

Westboro Baptist Church Lemonade

What happens when a little girl decides to set up a lemonade stand for peace outside the Westboro Baptist Church headquarters in Kansas? Members of the community step out in droves to show support, even as the hate group tries to quash it.

Five-year-old Jayden, the daughter of Jon Sink, founder of the philanthropic arts group FRESHCASSETTE - Creative Compassion, decided to set up a stand selling pink lemonade at The Equality House on Friday afternoon. The Equality House is a rainbow-colored building directly across the street from Westboro's Topeka compound. The house, which was painted the colors of the pride flag in March, was bought by Aaron Jackson, one of the founders of Planting Peace, a multi-pronged nonprofit set up in 2004 and aimed at spreading goodwill and equality around the globe.

Jayden, who is from Kansas City, decided to set up her stand at the Equality House after her parents explained to her the significance of its construct. After being told that the church across the street had a message of hate, she set a goal of raising money to go towards a message of love and peace.

So she painted a banner for the event reading, "Pink Lemonade for Peace: $1 Suggested Donation." She put the stand in the grass and waited. But the waiting didn't take long. Supporters came in by the droves and $1 turned into hundreds of dollars.

During the day, Westboro sent representatives outside to try and find a way to stop the event. They apparently attempted to call the local police and stooped to yelling profanities when that didn't work, like calling a group of soldiers who rode out on their motorcycles to suport the event "bastards."

Westboro's hate couldn't stop Jayden. She not only raised $400 during the day on Friday, but she has also collected over $1000 with an online campaign set up through Crowd Rise. Some people donated as little as $10 and as much as $230. One person gave $26, dedicating it to every person killed six months ago in the Newtown, Conn., massacre.

"As we all know, the Westboro Baptist Church puts a lot of hate into the world," Jackson told HuffPost in an email Friday. "Since we cannot stop them, the next best thing is to smother it with love. That is what 5-year-old Jayden accomplished today! Jayden set up a lemonade stand in front of the church. Not only did she quench the thirst of a lot of loving supporters, the money she raised was donated to Planting Peace so she could help Planting Peace promote a more peaceful world."

“Jayden represents the natural humanity we are born with," Davis Hammet, Director of Operations at Planting Peace, added. "We come into this world compassionate, caring beings and only become hateful if we are taught to be.”

How cool is this? If I lived near by I would go support her!! She has rasied for 10k including her online support.

If you had the chance to do something similar to what she did, would you? What would you sell?

How would you handle the fucktwats across the way?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a cute story, but no matter what cause, I hesitate when people exploit their children like that. A 5 year old did not decide to start an online crowd source campaign, did not do publicity to bring people out of the neighborhood to a lemonade stand, and did not alert the media or the anti-WBC motorcycle brigade that frequents their protests. I wonder how much of what was going on she actually understood.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:49 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I read about this yesterday. She is so precious. If I were near her I'd definitely go. Though honestly, IDK if I'd let my children do the same thing, simply because the WBC is filled with psychotic wackjobs who will scream obscenities at a 5 yr old girl.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• clappingThat's awesome!  I love it when kids get recognized for doing things like this.  (ie. Hannah's Socks)  I hope that little girls stays safe & that the cause grows.  The poor excuse for human beings who are associated w/ WBC need to just crawl back under their rocks.  It should be obvious their opinions don't matter & are not welcomed.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 17, 2013

• NP I was thinking the same thing. Cute kid and certainly I appreciate the parents' sense of installing what they see as important into their child. Despite my very passionate views I am against having my now six year old involved in politics. I am against children at rallies and wearing shirts supporting their candidates to school. It puts kids against kids. They have a life time to choose their battles. And they will. My thoughts are to create a good environment and lead by example. Not let kids lead and adults follow.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• It's a great story, but I have to agree with NP that a five-year-old wouldn't have come up with all of this by herself. I hope the original idea was hers, but I'm afraid it probably grew into something beyond her. Still, sometimes a child can make a point better than all the grown-ups in the world can. Too bad the WBC idiots seem beyond grasping anything but their hate.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I love it her parents are teaching her about how to go up against hate. She probably didn't come up with the internet idea or even the lemonade stand idea but her parents are teaching her about how to love everyone and I see nothing wrong with that. My kids would never think to help others without us teaching them that. They go to the food bank weekly to help others 100 percent my idea at first now they love going and ask to go. Her parents should be proud she embraced this and is a loving soul.
    healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 12:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• This is the best news I have read today! way to go little girl and the wonderful parents she has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 1:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• ": IDK if I'd let my children do the same thing, simply because the WBC is filled with psychotic wackjobs who will scream obscenities at a 5 yr old girl."
    I would tell my daughter she cannot ever, ever use those words you hear from those mean people. Meanwhile, I would tell her to give the bird, but of course it would be an actual bird. Like the bird she got in a happy meal at McD's the other day. lol
    Seriously though, I do admire what the little girl did, even if it was her parents idea. Hell, if my dd would even just listen to me would be a day of celebration!! Pink lemonade anyone?? :)
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• What a fantastic kid!!! PLUS, she gets to hang out at the rainbow equality house..AWESOME
    txgrlatheart1

Answer by txgrlatheart1 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2013