What do I do, my daughter is being sexually harassed at school.

My daughter is 12 and there is a boy in her class that calls her degrading names. She says that he says stuff like this to all her friends. He calls her a slut, flips her off, says that she is a hooker, etc. If you could only meet my daughter you would know that she is not anything close to this. She is still really innocent when it comes to boys. I don't know what to do. She says that he is always in trouble, and that he is always being sent to the principals office for different things. If I report it, will he just harass her more? What do I do? It really breaks my heart to see her hurting. I gave her different options: I told her to get some friends together and go tell the principal what he is doing (she says she doesn't want to go alone), I told her I can talk to the principal myself, or she can warn him that if he tells her one more thing, she will report him, and if he does, she really needs to say something!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• cont...If she does talk to the principal, I will call him just to reinforce things. What I am worried about is that she won't do anything. It pisses me off that she won't defend herself. What do I do? Her dad want to go have a talk with the principal, but I don't want to single her out to where these boys really start to mess with her. What do you think?
    Anonymous

• Please help!
    Anonymous

• I had this problem in elementary school and I was too embarassed to report it. I did eventually tell my parents and they took it to the principal. As I parent I would take this into my own hands and report it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• id report him if she dont thats ridicoulous when boys act immature and rude like this....i reported the boy that kept harrising me not as bad as what this ones doing to your daughter but i turned him into the principal id do it before things get worse...
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 11:30 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Report it. Schools come down HARD on this sort of thing these days...because THEY can get sued for creating the atmosphere.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Our school system has a process in place for sexual harrasment. Check on your counties web sight or call the board of education and ask what the process is and report this student!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Report it definitely. She doesn't want to go alone. So go with her. Go to school a little early one day and go in with her to talk to the principal. As for worrying about him harassing her more, I would make it very clear to the principal that you will be holding him personally responsible for making sure that doesn't happen. He can change this boy's class, he can make clear to the boy that if he goes anywhere near your daughter, has anyone else bother her, or does anything in any way to make your daughter feel uncomfortable, that he will suspend the boy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• 1. have you talked to the teacher?- im sure you have but if not DO NOT LEAVE THIS UP TO YOUR CHILD its to hard for a child to have to deal with this sort of thing alone, trust me my mom made me deal with being molested on my own and sent me to live with my father and I barely speak to her now. 2. if the teacher has done nothing go over her head to the guidance counselor and principle and make it clear that if nothing is done you will contact the school board and that this is infact a criminal act and if need be you will get the law enforcement involved they will move quickly, my daughter was held down by one boy while another was popping her bra at PE and when she told her coach he said well if it happens again (x) will go to the office and when I got there to pick her up she was in tears so I called the office and after telling them that I would involve police if need be they called both boys and their parents in and
    gonnahavababy

Answer by gonnahavababy at 9:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• they both got suspended for 10 days. thats all the advice I have other than this
    YOU HAVE TO BE THE ADVOCATE FOR YOUR CHILD NOONE ELSE OUT THERE IS GOING TO DEFEND THEM TEH WAY THAT YOU CAN . Good luck and I hope it all turns out ok and who knows maybe by stopping this boy now you will keep him from doing far worse later on.
    gonnahavababy

Answer by gonnahavababy at 9:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you want to see a school system move really fast send in your husband. Mine was the at home parent for several years and I can't tell you how many times it took one phone call from him and they were falling all over themselves to do the right thing. Sorry your daughter has to go through this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2009