Post baby bleeding TMI adult content

My baby is 6 days old . I've been having normal bleeding heavy first day it tapered off now its pretty light. This am I was on the couch Breastfeeding my baby I put her down in her chair when I did I felt this weird sensation. ( like a bubble came out down there) I walked to the bathroom by the time I got there I had blood running down my legs. My pad undies and jammies where soaked in blood. I had a Huge blood clot on the pad it was probably the size of a 1/2 dollar. I never had bleeding episode like that with my other 2. Is that normal . Im not bleeding as of now its been a little over a hour. I was thinking maybe the clot was just kind of holding on and the breastfeeding released it??? Anyone else have this happen? should I be concerned or just kinda wait around and see if it continues.

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Health

• They say that the breastfeeding causes uterine contractions. If it's stopped for now I'd say you're ok.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Blood clots are totally normal after birth. Breastfeeding stimulates the uterus causing bleeding to be heavier, should you soak through 3 pads an hour you should contact your doctor.
    txgrlatheart1

Answer by txgrlatheart1 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Same thing happened to me 11 years ago with my last, I was also breastfeeding LOL.. Scared me to death because it never happened with the other 2 either.. Totally normal, if the bleeding is heavy, I was told a pad an hour is heavy.. Call your OB
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I had this more with my second than with my first, so I would say it is normal, if you are truly concerned give your OB/Midwife a call.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I had it happen once as well, while I was walking the floor with the baby. I called the hospital and was told that as long as I wasn't soaking a pad every fifteen minutes, or four an hour, I was fine. I was also told I might be doing too much and to take it easy. It only happened the one time for me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2013