Lean calves

I have been told that i'm built like a brick sh*t-house...whatever that means. I work out 4-5 times a week and am very conscious of my diet, but I can't seem to shred my calves. There are bulky and muscular, I just want them to be smaller so I don't have to order special tall boots in the fall and so I won't be embarrassed to wear shorts and dresses. Any advice?

txgrlatheart1

Asked by txgrlatheart1 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Running long distances, not sprinting. Running fast builds muscle, running long distances slowly will reduce the size of the calf muscle. Don't do any weight bearing exercises on this area of the body, you don't want to build the muscle.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• If avoiding weight bearing exercise is necessary, should i stick to squats and lunges for my upper leg area? I do run pretty often, but because of asthma I'm having trouble with long distances.
    txgrlatheart1

Comment by txgrlatheart1 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Never mind the brick s***house thing. You sound as if you are healthy, which is the goal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I would say that you should embrace your calves. I know that I had really thick ones after my pregnacy and doing weight lifting and cardio has helped slim them down. It won't happen over night though, I had to work really hard to get my legs more lean. But, yes running can help if you really want to do it. Good luck. I tend to disagree about doing weigh bearing excersises it depends on what type of weight lifting excersise your doing. You can do excersise that help with the surrounding areas. I would also google it and see what you come up with, do some research good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I naturally have enormous calves, and I share your pain with boots! I'm actually a distance runner, and they are still large, but very lean. I'd rather have the function than skinny calves, frankly. I say embrace them. I have ZERO issues wearing a dress and showing them off, and while I do get comments (because they are seriously muscular), I'm proud of them. They show how hard I work, and they take me on some awesome journeys.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:26 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Thank you! Those are words to live by.
    txgrlatheart1

Comment by txgrlatheart1 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2013