My 8 year old complains a lot of her stomaching hur'm ting, head hurting, throat hurting, the feeling she has to throw up or cramps

My dd started a couple months ago saying her stomach was hurting it was like an every few day thing. We took her to the dr they didn't see anything they even checked for uti. Well within the last month it has been becoming an almost every day thing. She will tell me her stomach hurts, her head hurts and her throat hurts and feels like she has to throw up. When this happens it is always the same 3 things head, stomach and throat only sometimes she complains of the throwing up part however she doesn't throw up. At first I thought maybe it was just her saying it but she will go lay down. She lays down for a bit watching tv then she will feel better. She has even complained of cheapest time although not sure how she knows what cramps are. She doesn't seem like she is it pain she just tells me it hurts. No fevers when this happens. Not sure what it can be? She just turned 8 2 months ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• I've had the same issue with my 12 year old. Turned out to be GERD and constipation. Zantac and Milk of Magnesia is what the doctor ordered..
    txgrlatheart1

Answer by txgrlatheart1 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Is she just needing a break? Trying to get more attention from you? When you say she feels better, is she playing at her normal energy levels? You can take her back to the Dr. for a full work up. I'd want to rule out anything serious, before thinking it's just something she's making up. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I did this at that age. Nothing really "hurt" I just didn't feel well, which usually meant I didn't feel like doing something. I wasn't necessarily lying to get out of it, I think that just the thought of doing it made me literally feel phsyically ill. For me it was school. I'd get a "stomach ache" and ask to go to the nurse. Yes I was doing it to get out of class, but that wasn't my intention, get what I mean? Keep track of when it happens. Around school? Around chore time? Homework time? If you think that's what's going in, try giving her some motivation to get through whatever she's avoiding. Not saying reward her for the things she's supposed to do anyway, just give her a reason to realize that it's not so bad, and the quicker she does it the quicker it'll be over with.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Yes when she says she feels better she is playing at her normal energy level
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Normally she does do it like yesterday i went to see my dad in the hospital I come home dh said she said her stomach and all that hurt but she was fine until he asked her to play with her 22 month old sister for a minute. She normally says it when she has to do stuff, but a few times she has just told me it when she was outside playing. I am just wondering if she says it to try to get a snack or whatever cause I do let her have snacks but they would eat all day if I let them so I tell them no but I have noticed if I do let her have a snack she is fine after. In school her teacher said she would complain of her stomach hurting a lot and ask to go to the nurse
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• It sounds like the illness is being used as an excuse to avoid something that she sees as being unpleasant. Try keeping a journal for a couple of weeks of everything that's going on and see if you can detect a pattern. If you can't, you may need to seek help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• My five -year-old has used the "my tummy's hurting" line to get snacks. I've taken to offering her something healthy, with no sweets as choices. If she's really hungry, she'll go for something worth eating. If she's not, she'll pass. It's cut down a lot on the hurting tummy around here.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• She's "bellyaching". Literally.
    If it's only at times when she's asked to do things, (chores, homework, ie not fun stuff) MAKE her do it first, then she can lay down afterwards.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2013