How much does it cost to get your dogs anal glands expressed????

hudson.maggie

Asked by hudson.maggie at 11:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pets

• that is my new learned thing of the day....had to ask my hubby if he knew what that meant....but he doesn't either. what does their anal glands need expressed for? guess i didn't learn anything other than wondering wth that means
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:43 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• A good groomer supposedly will do it for you...ask your groomer. Or ask the vet.

For MissHeidi...a dog's anal glands contain marker scent. They're sort of a vestigial organ, and for some dogs they can become impacted. They can get infected and abcessed as well, and sometimes the abcess can burst.

We just went through this with our dog...scared out to death because it looked like she was bleeding from her rectum.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was going to have by dogs anal glands cleaned, the vet and groomer was going to charge more than I was willing to pay. This may sound nasty to some, but I ended up doing it myself. It was very easy to do (gross but easy). It only took a second to do them, and I didn't have pay to have them done!
    Anonymous

• * I was going to have MY dogs . . . . . sorry about the typo. ^^^^
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 12:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• The anal glands are two very small glands, one on each side of the dogs rectum. They normally empty themselves when the dog has a bowel movement. If they don't, they can get impacted. The groomer will usually express them if it's needed when he or she bathes your dog. I don't know how much it costs to have just the anal glands expressed, it's not usually needed, other than at regular grooming. The PetCo here in town charges $6 to do just the anal glands.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I used to work for a groomer...I did the baths and nails and I did the anal glands. It is kind of gross...LOL...but very easy to do yourself. Just pinch and squeeze...ewwww...LOL!
    Anonymous

• I think it's like $10 at my vet but let me tell you - all you need to do is watch them do it once and I guarantee you'd pay them 3 times that amount! LOL! It's a thankless, smelly job that you want no part of.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's the grosses thing every......... Most the time you can tell when it needs to be done. The dog tends to rub its but on the floor. I worked at petco for 6 years and the groomers said that its mostly the small dogs that need it. I about puked when they told be what they had to do. NO THANKS I love my dog but not that much. I would much rather take my dog in and have it done.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 1:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009