Isn't it funny...

...how a pastor can knock on the door and be SO polite and pleasant while inviting you to their church, and when they leave and you look at the literature (propaganda) they've left it's a tract basically threatening you with hell?

No, I don't have a home church, but go ahead and try to scare me into yours!

Should have told him that although I don't have a "home church," I meet with the UU's and prefer to study on my own and just let his jaw drop, lol. But I didn't want to offend his Baptist sensibilities. Guess I'm too nice, haha.

Though next time I might just go ahead and admit it. It's just that around here that might open the door up for them to try to "meet" with me to try to persuade me that I'm wrong and in "danger" of hell if I don't come around... Though I guess if I meet with my JW friend every week I should give him an equal opportunity... ;)

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's such an ineffective and offensive approach, I'm surprised anybody still uses it. *Sigh.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• DS (5) was asking if we could go to that church, and I told him that no, I don't think so, so he asked why.... I asked him if he could tell me if it's okay to be mean to people who are different, and he said no (the ONE big thing I've tried to instill in him so far - we don't treat people differently just because they look/love/think/believe/act/etc differently than we do), so I told him that we aren't going to that church because they teach mean things about people who are different (even if hell is the only one, that's still mean, lol). When he's older he can explore the more fundamentalist versions of faith, if he wishes, but not while he's still at such an impressionable age, especially when the pastor has already slipped a fear tactic into my hands ;)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I do think for some it's a matter of degrees - if they can think of someone who is worse than they are, they must be in the clear. We don't picket funerals, so we're not the mean ones. One step up from that, we don't make women remain silent in church, so we're not the mean ones. One step up, we welcome all races, so we're not the mean ones. And so on.

And then they stick on that, as long as we're not doing XYZ, we're in the clear.

Threaten someone with eternal damnation because they don't use the same words to say a prayer? Well, it's not like you're beheading people who don't believe the EXACT same thing as you, so it must be ok, right?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Or they're doing us a favor because hell does exist and we need to be aware of it, lol. They're "saving" us, don'tchya know? ;)

They don't expect people to say anything, I don't think, because so many would be so surprised by someone not believing in hell, especially where I live. It would probably confuse them, lol.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• The thing IS, that they think they really are saving people by scaring them with Hell. They WANT you to be afraid of Hell, so much that they even go on about it IN church- not just outside of it.

I'm glad that you are keeping your son away from that. I don't like how they go about "teaching" the kids (at least not in the churches I went to)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• "They WANT you to be afraid of Hell, so much that they even go on about it IN church- not just outside of it. "

Haha, oh I remember. DH's church did an alter call EVERY Sunday where it was stressed heavily. Definitely not raising my kid that way. It's too hard to "unteach" that kind of indoctrination, so I'd just rather not expose him to it at all, until he's old enough to explore for himself.

He goes to church with my mom occasionally - a Methodist church. Only reason I'm okay with it is because I grew up in that church and I know they don't push the heavy stuff, so it is what it should be at his level of understanding - just people hanging out, having snack, and talking a little about Jesus. Of course, when the UU group I've been going to starts being able to do things for children he WILL be going there :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• The last time a religious person came to our door, my husband answered it and told him he had the wrong house and to pay attention to our sign (I'm not buying what you're selling, so take your product, religion, or politics elsewhere).

Then he closed the door, there was a pause, and then I heard his busting up laughing his ass off. That's when he realized he was wearing this shirt:

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• HAHA! I love that JulieJacobKyle!

I joked with DH about whether or not we ought to put UU decals in our windows or something ;)
    I don't mind civil conversation with people - that's why my JW still comes every week, because it's actually a pleasure to talk with her. But it might help weed out anyone who wouldn't at least be equally respectful in a conversation, lol
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I joked with DH about whether or not we ought to put UU decals in our windows or something ;)

Is it safe? I know it varies - I live somewhere that still ends up with keyed doors and cracked windows over UU and gay pride stickers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I had some Baptists visit me about a year ago. They'd visited me once before at my old house where I lectured them on the meaning of my no soliciting sign.

So they turn up back in this quiet little corner of the nieghborhood with their little polo shirts with the church name on them and ask me if I belived. I directed them to the chairs on the front porch saying, "Yes, yes please sit. Let's talk about the Creator." I chatted a bit and was very vague until the end when I tried to suggest that the Deus is in all of us, and how that explains the Big Bang. They looked at me funny and handed me some pamphlets to read. I invited them to come back and I'd have some literature for them too... they never csme back, I was heartbroken.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2013