What does your teen do in the summer?

My 17 year old works a few hours a week but mostly on the weekends. She doesn't have summer school this year. Last week I had her do a few things during the week while I was at work and then allowed her to hang out with her boyfriend or friends.

Today she did nothing except hang out with her friends. I don't think it's too much to ask for her to pick up after herself and maybe do something to help me out.

I'm also really upset with her for not making any effort to get her license. She says she doesn't want to drive. I know I'm in a bad mood since I'm not feeling well. But I'm at the end of my rope. I need some advice before I blow up here.

This girl needs a reality check. She's a good kid, but I want her to be better.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 8:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• she is a teen- I let mine just do whatever during the summer for the most part, I mean they still ahve to clean their rooms, put dishes away, do the trash and that stuff, and my son who will be 17 next month just finished driving school this morning

I would not force her to drive if she doesn't want to- do you want her to have an accident because of stress, or being freaked out or hesitant?
    I wasn't THAT interested either at first. I'd rather have her wait if she isn't ready
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• She has the rest of her life to be too busy... this is the time to spend time with friends... that won't last forever!!! So she will be miserable like the rest of us! LOL

A lot of kids don't want to rush in to driving... I don't blame them... people are idiots out there!! Good for her for knowing she is not ready to deal with that stuff!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Unfortunately, my stepson is with his mom so far this summer, watching TV and online videos and playing computer games. He likes it at her house because he doesn't have to do jack squat. We weren't all that hard on him here, but he had to pick up after himself, put the dishes away, and spend some time with his little sister. Oh well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• The oldest works about 20- 30 hrs per week. The second volunteers as a junior lifeguard and is on swim team. The younger two aren't teens quite yet and they work on chores, but usually with a lot of bitching and nagging from me.

Btw... my oldest is in college and still doesn't have her license. She takes the bus and light rail everywhere, mostly because parking on campus is a bitch and a half.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I don't know what the hell mine does, but if he doesn't get a job soon I'm kicking his ass out!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2013