Prepping kitties for baby, any advice?

Hey all! My fiance and I are expecting our first in April, and we have two cats, both about three and a half years old. They've become a lot more needy toward me since early on in my pregnancy, and I read somewhere that we're supposed to lessen attentiveness a bit and sort of wean them off of constant attention so it's not a shock when we bring baby home...but beyond that I'm clueless. We shut the bedroom door at night, but if anyone can offer more advice to make the transition easier for them, I'd really appreciate it.

Reulia

Asked by Reulia at 11:29 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I have 6 cats and all of them are attention wh*res. The only thing I noticed is they will stay away more because of the baby..Not because they feel abandoned or anything they just get a little freaked out by a wiggling, crying thing that they're not use to.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon. We had a cat when my son was born and he pretty much stayed away from him at first and then he just ignored him, you know how good they are at that anyway. I don't think you'll have a prob. You're already keeping the door shut. Good luck and congrats! My son was born in April too!!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• The day we brought my last boy home my female came hauling it into the living room to see me since I had been gone for days....took one look at the baby carrier, stopped dead in her tracks, stuck her tail in the air and stormed off lol. She pouted about a week but now she loves snuggling with us on the couch. Both of my cats handle it pretty well, but they seem to since something's up whenever I get near the end of pregnancy. I wouldn't start withholding attention, they get used to it once the baby comes, you don't want to go out of your way to make them jealous! Good luck with them, I'm sure they will take it just fine!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009