Depression....what's the difference?

I read a blog today about how the author just woke up one morning and everything made her sad, life felt hopeless...and she's been on this journey of depression ever since. Just from reading her thoughts and feelings on the subject, I know now for sure that I am completely and utterly in a depression. Unlike her though, I feel like I can pin point that "time" in my life/marriage where I lost hope completely for the situation. So, can I ask those of you who suffer from depression what's the difference in people who feel they can pin point when their lives became hopeless from "giving up"/a source that's causing the situation and the depression as opposed to one day just feeling hopeless in life all of a sudden?

Does the expression reign true Steven Winterburn - "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Health

• I suffered from Depression when our son was sent to Iraq, twice. I was a horrid mess!
    I've had moments of pity parties, depression, because of my disability "epilepsy", but I surround myself around positive people to help me through my rough times.
    I think everyone suffers from some sort of depression at one time or another.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I was diagnosed with a drepression disorder after the fire. I have difficulty sleeping at night even though the fire was in the daytime lol. I have always had anger issues and then had a serious cancer scare. So that is what they diagnosed. I do not have any feeling of hopelessness and considered a pretty upward looking person. I can't answer your question except for when it was.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:04 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• its not just you wake up one day and everything sucks. its more of a slow deterioration process..at least in my cases..i just got over yet another bout of depression very recently. i can usually pinpoint why im depressed, but nowadays i cant always tell why. thats when i get really freaked out. people would ask whats wrong, and when i dont even know...it can be scary. you dont know what you can do about it. so surround yourself with positive enlightening folks if you can then. but a lot of people dont give a shit in this world about their neighbors so depression can come easily to the generally happy individual. about that poster quote....you can be surrounded by great people and still fall into depression. though what i think that quote means is literally what its saying...to the person who probably doesnt get depressed very often in their lives. with the amount of haters and hurtful people in the world, yeah..depression.
    amberwaves88

Answer by amberwaves88 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Situational depression is the clinical name for depression that can be attributed to a certain event or condition. That doesn't make it any less real than garden variety depression that just pops up one day. I've battled depression for ears, and it can't be pinned onto a specific cause. It's hard because it comes and bites me on the ass when I should be perfectly happy or even delighted with life.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Aside from a name difference, there really isn't a difference between the two. And as someone who deals with depression, I don't think it "just pops up" one day. I think it builds over time and for those that think it just "popped up" one day, they just didn't realize it had been building until it reached that point. I know that I felt like it just popped up, but once I started treatment and looked back, I could see that it had been building for a long time, I just hadn't noticed or hadn't wanted to notice.

It's a seriously crappy thing to deal with, too. Although, as Dardenella pointed out, not everyone has exactly the same symptoms. I don't generally feel hopeless - it's just this general sadness, this funk that nothing pulls me out of, that leaves me exhausted and frustrated and way too easily irritated.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2013