Disabilities and being mom

According to testing I have a good chance of having lupus and whatever it is it's going for my joints. I have two young active children.

How do you manage your disability and parenting especially if you have a physical handicap?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• google it
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Follow the Dr's order and get plenty of sleep!
    Never be afraid to ask for help with the kids if you're having a bad day.

I was determined my "disability" wasn't going to control me, I'm in control!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• google it smiley??? SERIOUSLY!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Cuz that was helpful. Geez. You don't HAVE to answer a question. If you don't know or don't want to, move on.

OP, I'm sorry you are going thru this. I don't have a physical handicap but I am getting older. My knees and hips had really been bothering me so I started taking a liquid glucosamine supplement and that has really helped. Would something like that help you?
    I also know they have medications to help manage those symptoms. Make sure to talk to your dr about it.

Hopefully one of the other mom's on here can help you.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• And, PMSMom, my answer wasn't directed at you.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Don't be fraid to pace yourself. You'll start to know what your limits are, and nobody will hold it against you if you set boundaries, unless you decide to be hard on yourself over it. And don't let anybody tell you that you can't be a good mom with a disability. The world will pick at you, but don't you believe it. I've been blind all my life, and I also have fibromyalgia and Sjogren's, as well as asthma. Keeping my weight unde control helps a lot, and treating colds and the like aggressively so they don't take hold makes a big difference.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• I seriously just looked for the downvote button.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• And she deserves it PGA!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• It's just the joint pain,fatigue and headaches. I been holding back telling my doctor to just give me a big bottle of codeine and a cane.

I have family near by and my oldest is starting Head Start so I can catch a few breaks. I'm also going to retrain through rehab for a desk job. So I do have some resources I guess I'm just freaked out about how much help I may need.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• hugsDon't be freaked out. Just take it 1 step at a time. It's like cleaning my apartment (much smaller scale, but bear with me). If I say I'm gonna clean my apartment, I get freaked out as that's a big task. But if I say I'm gonna clean my kitchen, that I can deal with. Don't be afraid to ask for help. We all need help at some point.

tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2013