OMG, more family drama! What would you do?

I'm just so upset. My brother and his partner are having a union ceremony in July to celebrate their partnership. I wasn't invited. I know people said maybe the invitation got lost in the mail, but I called my brother twice and left messages and also sent him an e-mail, and nobody answered. So I'm pretty sure I'm not on the guest list. That's fine, I suppose, but my cousin just called and told me that now my brother has been saying to people how he figures I won't show up, that I won't be supportive of him, that when push comes to shove, I'm not going to be a part of his big day because I'm a Christian. So he's setting me up to take the blame for not going to the ceremony when it was his choice not to invite me. I told my cousin the truth, and she told her parents, so at least someone knows. But I'm just beside myself.

So, to make this vent a question, what would you do? What can I do?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2013 in Relationships

• I agree with Cali...Crash the party!! lol Bring a gift and act like nothing is wrong lol

Do it! Then he will be forced to either eat his words about you not supporting him or to admit he never invited you and lied. I'm betting he just keeps his mouth shut.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• It sounds like you have a strained relationship at best and it is lame of him not to admit to others he never invited you. If he won't return your calls or emails, there is not much you can do unless you plan to crash it. Like you said, at least someone knows the truth.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Maybe see if another family member would bring you as a guest?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• show up anyway, leave a gift and either don't say anything to them, or act like there's nothing wrong ...I bet it would freak him out! LOL
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 11:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Is the union ceremony at a church or a courthouse? If so, just show up. You don't have to attend the reception.

And tell your idiot brother for me that Christian does NOT mean "opposed to gay unions." I'm Christian. I support marriage equality full-heartedly.

We actually had a huge discussion on this during an Anglican Studies meeting a couple of weeks ago. The homosexuality opposed in the Bible had NOTHING to do with two willing ADULTS. It condemned forced acts on children and the unwilling.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Crash the ceremony, kill him with kindness and see what happens from there.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• When people ask, just tell them the truth. They never invited you. I wouldn't call everyone and tell them though. I would leave it alone.

Answer by louise2 at 7:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I would not go unless I was invited. This looks like a set-up to me, and it looks to me like you lose either way. I would not hesitate to tell anyone who asks that I was not invited and that's why I wasn't there.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I would just show up to show you are supportive. Or like one said see if a guest can take you as their number 2
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Hmm, I'm on my third rum and Coke since my cousin called, and this is seeming like a damn hot idea.

And jus so nobody gives me shit, my little girl is in bed and her dad is here with me, so I'm upset and tipsy, but she's not in harm's way.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2013