Is this normal?

My mom had Hana and I was taking a shower and all of a sudden my mom yells Shaketa, Hana puked on herself so I told her to clean her up so when I got out the shower I grabbed her and was about to take her a bath so I laid on her on the bed while I was getting her bath ready and I heard a scream so I panicked and I turned around my little one threw up on herself again I found out what she was doing she was putting her hand in her mouth to far....Is this normal? b/c this is beginning to scare me

Shaketa123

Asked by Shaketa123 at 12:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah 4 1/2 in my opinion is a little young to be doing this as it is usually something done for attention. I would probably bring her in for a check up if it continues. But if it was just today I would wait and see for a few days.

Does she throw up a lot even without the hands??

She may just be trying to figure out everything, you know where to put and not put hands lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Why is she screaming because the kid is throwing up?

How old is the child? Putting their hands down the their throat is normal(though it usually just causes them to gag and not throw up). If they are older and they get a reaction out of mom/dad/whoever then they do it more, just like with throwing the bottle/sippy cup on the floor.

If it continues or it worries you call the doctor or take her in.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• She doesn't know. At first, she didn't even realize her hands were part of her body. I remember when my daughter was that age, she was delighted to see her feet whenever we took her pajamas or socks off, like they were a couple of long lost buddies. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing that won't kep happening.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Now, my kids have never made themselves puke, but they do stick things in their mouths and gag themselves at that age. Its an exploration thing for them. Your daughter could just have a very low tolerance for gagging herself. Tell Mom to stop screaming every time she does this, or else baby will catch up on it and start doing it on PURPOSE.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I think she was screaming to get my attention and she is 41/2 months old
    Shaketa123

Comment by Shaketa123 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Not really and I will take her in if she keeps doing it lol and I thought she kinda knew where to and not to put her hands
    Shaketa123

Comment by Shaketa123 (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I told my mom to stop b/c she had 3kids and we all puked so there is need for her to be screaming and I bought toys so that would stop her from doing that
    Shaketa123

Comment by Shaketa123 (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2013