Refusing to eat, of course until bedtime....wwyd?

so my 5 year old refuses to eat. I tell him fine but you aren't getting anything else. Which he is just fine with, until of course until bedtime comes and he is then Starving!. Quote "I'm 100% hungry!"

So what would you do? Let him get out of bed to eat or not?

This is with multiple prompting to eat before bedtime.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Nope it is time for a show down. You said no more and that is what you should stick to. An uncomfortable sleep and a few tears are not going to do him any harm.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Tell him to wait til breakfast.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Nope. He would go to sleep hungry. He needs to learn that you mean what you say.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 12:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• He's playing games with you. My sons used to do that until I held my ground, lol

I would say, "kitchens closed" at 7:00. And I meant it. They learned real fast to eat when the kitchen was open! GL!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Great guys thanks,

That is what I was thinking, my husband is a softy though. lol
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• You and DH need to pick a time that the kitchens closed and he really needs to stick to it. If he doesn't, it'll just get worst...take it from me, the older they get, the worse it gets!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• How old is he?

I fought this forever with my daughter. For-freaking-ever. My boyfriend said to make her go to bed hungry, but I couldn't do it because my mom used to punish me that way pretty regularly, and I spent a lot of miserable nights with nothing but acid in my stomach. I'd lose heart every time, even if my girl put herself to bed hungry. Then a friend of mine recommended that I giv her one single kind of food, and one only, at bedtime. We settled on graham crackers. So if she gets up hungry, it's graham crackers or nothing. It has worked like a charm. No more tears, no more battles, no more negotiation. No more stalling and asking for things that take ages to eat. Have a graham cracker and go back to bed, end of story. In fact, now the silly kid won't eat graham crackers any other time because she thinks they make her fal asleep. Maybe that would work for you; it sure has brought peace to my house.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I came up with the same solution as Ballad. She gets five little teddy grahams and five goldfish crackers and a half a dixie cup of water. It's been that way for a while and it works for us.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I don't treat it as a punishable issue, or automatically assume that the child is doing something "on purpose" or has some negative agenda. Even if there IS some heavy-duty power struggle agenda, one way to avoid reinforcing it is to demonstrate that there's no need for it.
    Ballad & tessiedawg offer ideas for ways to handle it without engaging a major struggle issue or a show-down dynamic.
    Have some sort of option that you are willing to provide or make accessible, and let that be your go-to if he's hungry at or after bedtime.
    Bananas are another idea (and very convenient.) Here it hasn't been in response specifically to "refusing" to eat earlier, but if somebody gets hungry at bedtime we offer a banana.
    I would do the same if I perceived a power struggle of some kind around whether or not to eat at meals. (i.e., I would hope NOT to engage, in other words, keep ANY punitive response or attempt at leverage OUT of the equation.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• If this is something that happens every night then I would put my foot down and say no. If it only happens sometimes I would give her a couple crackers or something like that.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2013