It's a pillowcase! With a nice pillow..

Our son is six years old. Tonight he freaked out, cuz I let his sister have my pillow. } we have two memory foam pillows thy both love,! } . Well he told me that he wasnt going to go to bed until I switched the pillows ( I forgot to put a pillow case on one, he wants the one with the pillowcase of course his sister has..) .. Why so picky? Why the fuss? ..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sometimes kids just fuss for the sake of fussing. Or maybe the pillow felt strange to him, or had a smell he wasn't used to, or maybe he thought his sister was getting something he wasn't. Who knows?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Because he's 6 years old, and it's a great way to stall bedtime and prevent his sister from getting something he wants.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• It felt important. Sometimes kids attach their "big" feelings to a small issue, because it's safe, convenient & effective (gives them a good "pretext" for processing some distressing feelings.)
    There's a line in a Van Morrison song: "It's not why why why why why why why...It just IS."
    The times when I can be mindful of that orientation (accepting the moment for what it is & responding to it, rather than struggling against it for being wrong or not making sense or "shouldn't be happening" for some other reason), things tend to flow a LOT more for me.
    "Wow, you are really upset about this pillow" might be my response. (I guess the perspective is that I don't have to decide whether or not his feeling are valid--as in did something "wrong/unfair" happen or not, does something need to be "fixed"? And he doesn't have to be rescued from his upset OR from the situation. I can just accept it was upsetting, for some reason!)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2013