My ex-husband's name HAD to be put onto my daughter's birth certificate, even though he is not the father?

We were divorced in 2012, I gave birth on June 11th to my daughter. He is not the father. I had just turned 21, I started drinking a lot. I'm definitely embarressed to say so, but I don't know who her real father is. I started talking to an ex-bf around the same time, and then found out I was pregnant a few weeks after we started dating. He started going with me to doctor's appointments, and eventually told me he would like to step into her life as her father. Anyways, he was going to sign the birth certificate at the hospital. But they informed me that since my divorce wasn;t finalized within 300 days of giving birth, my ex-husband's name had to be on there instead. They said in order to have it removed, all we would have to do is have a DNA test done, and have my ex-husband's name removed. But I don't know how to go about having my boyfriends name put on there. I honestly don't have $700+ dollars right now to have a DNA test, and my ex-husband, likes to make my life hell in any way he can, wants it off asap. What are my options? Could my ex possibly say he doesnt want a DNA, he doesnt want rights either way, and my boyfriend adopt her? Or is the DNA a must? Not sure what I can do about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! & I live in Ohio, by the way. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Who said your ex's name had to be on the certificate? The hospital? I would have told them to screw off or at least lied and said that the real father was the ex-husband. But it is true any baby conceived and or delivered during marriage they are legally the husbands.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• hospital is correct
    but they could have looked other way- but they did not
    so you have your husbands name on bc (who you were married to when you get pregnant)
    that is law
    in order to get it off you MUST have a DNA test, someone saying they do not want to do test- not going to fly
    DNA tests are just under 100 bucks per person

if you are sure your ex is not the father- it is in his best interest to have the DNA test done- otherwise he would have to pay for child support if you filed... that is one sure fire way to get him to do this test. when it shows he is not the father- he will not have to pay for child and will not have to even pay for the DNA test- you will be 100% done with the ex forever.
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• if there is ANY chance the child is your current boyfriends, well worth 100 bucks to find out, and if yes, he will be able to claim is child legally

you can get an amended bc, but (i think) the first birth certificate will always exist-- speak to lawyer if you ever find out who father is to have a new bc made up with his name on it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

•  I honestly don't have $700+ dollars right now to have a DNA test

will only cost 700, if you, the baby and FIVE men are tested

my ex-husband, likes to make my life hell in any way he can, wants it off asap. What are my options?
    file for child support- this will get that ex in court in a hearbeat, with mouth open ready for a swab for DNA test 

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:55 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• You know...birth control or condoms are a lot cheaper than DNA tests.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 9:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• My mothers husband had a vasectomy 2 years before I was born. His name is on my original birthcertificate, as my legal father. He is not my bio father. The state required it- even though that bcert would be sealed away and protected better than fort knox!
    a new amended one issued listed my adoptive parents as if they had given birth to me was issued.

But the State can change the rules, if they like. WA law said I could have the right to have them search for and contact my Father if I had one listed on my original bcert. I DID! But they said 'legal' father doesn't count. He's not bio-dad. I paid for that service for them to change the rules on me and there was no refund.

If it were me- I'd start saving for a DNA test to set the record straight for my dd.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 9:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• If you have an ORS in your area (they control the child support that is ordered) they will actually pay for it. My Step sons mom had 4 men tested to find the father of her son and she didn't pay a dime to get the test done.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• And then there's always Maury
    "You are NOT the father"
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 10:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• @LostSoul88
    Yes, the nurse at the hospital told me, when she came in to fill out the paper work for the birth certificate. She also gave me a paper explaining the law.
    What is a ORS? Whats that stand for?
    @uwmilf
    Like I said, Im not proud to admit I don't know who her biological father is. My mom passed away last year August 30th, I had just turned 21, and I dealt with it by drinking alcohol. I went to a lot of parties, and honestly for awhile I was so out of it I didn't know where I was half the time. Im not proud of that. But I didnt care about myself enough to think what would be best for me. Plus I was told after I gave birth in 2008, that I would never be able to have any more children. So pregnancy was the last thing I thought was possible for me anyway.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• @fiatpax
    So, if the DNA test is my only option, and my ex is tested and he's not the father, how could my boyfriend have his name on the bc as her father? Would he be able to adopt her? And have it placed on there then. I know my boyfriend is not her father, like I said, we didnt start dating until a few weeks after I had found out I was pregnant, and we hadn't even had sex. I also know for a my ex is not the father, since we hadn't had sex for over a year and a half. I think I know who her dad is, going by the date I was told I concieved. A guy I was talking to at a party, but I have no idea who he was, I only know his first name. Sounds horrible, but it happened, I cant change it. But I wont be 100% done with my ex after this is over, seeing how we have a 5 year old together. Im stuck with him for life.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2013