Paypal question

I have just opened a paypal account to be able to send my parents money. I have linked my checking account to my paypal account. Now my question is, do i first need to add money to my paypal before i can send the money?

Thanks!!!

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

• If it is coming out of your bank account they will charge you a small fee, if you wait and transfer from your bank to pay pal and then send the money to them(as long as you check that you are sending money to family) they will not charge you a fee but it will take longer.

Pay pal card only applies when you make purchases at a store, and if you send money without money in your paypal account it will automatically draw it out of whatever linked account or credit card you have set.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I think you can just send it. The money will come out of your checking account. It just goes through paypal as a "middleman" kind of thing.
    MommyLehr

Answer by MommyLehr at 12:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• yes. You call always call paypal and they will walk you step by step
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Sometimes PayPal can be a pain and it may take some time to process transfers, Walmart money center is a quick and painless alternative should you ever need one.
    txgrlatheart1

Answer by txgrlatheart1 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Dont use paypal for that its more of a pain in the ass I only use it for online sales. Do what txgrlatheart1 said use a Walmart money center. Theres walmarts everywere so you wont have trouble getting it to them and its instant only cost a few bucks depended on the amount of money sending. Or even wellsfargo.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 12:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Paypal has a good FAQ section that should tell you how to proceed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Thank you all. My nearest Walmart is 40 minutes away, and this is going to be something that i will be sending monthly.
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Why wouldn't you just mail them a paper check?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• PatrtyGal, this is a good idea i may consider. Just trying to make it less hassle for them since they're seniors.
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• As long as their is money in your checking account you can send it thru PayPal. But be very careful. My PayPal acct got hacked once and I lost money. I learned to tie my PayPal to a small savings acct that I used just for PayPal purchases. That way if someone got a hold of it they were limited on how much money they could steal and wouldn't over draw my regular checking acct
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2013