How to get my two year old to sleep in his own room for naps and at night

PLEASE HELP! My two year old has been sleeping with us for about a month now. It started one night when his fever was really high (104.1) over night and took him to the emergency room early the next morning and it turned out to be a upper respiratory infection. Well within 24 hours his fever went away and has not came back but now since then he has been sleeping with us. We have tried to switch his rooms since he is an only child as of now and that did not work. He will sleep in his bed for about an hour then come get in our bed. Naps he will not sleep in his bed only the chair or our bed. He doesn't talk very much so he doesn't tell us why he wont sleep in his own room. Need advise to get him to take naps and sleep in his own bed. He is in a full size bed since he was 1.5 and never had a problem sleeping until the upper respiratory infection.

MommaNet11

Asked by MommaNet11 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to be firm with him. Let him know his room is for him and your room is for you. When he gets up just put him right back in his bed. Do not speak to him just put him in his bed and walk away. It may be hard at first but he will get tired of the fight and just fall asleep.
    MommyLehr

Answer by MommyLehr at 12:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• As soon as he wakes up he immediately cries for his daddy. I have tried putting him back in his bed and staying with him until he falls asleep and that didn't work all he wanted was his daddy. He used to be a good sleeper would sleep from 8pm until 7-8am

MommaNet11

Comment by MommaNet11 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• That is what is the tough part. The best thing (IMO) is to just tell him he can see daddy in the morning. Now it is bed time. Dont stay with him til he falls asleep. because then he will expect it every night. It will be challenging at first but it will get easier and he will eventually sleep on his own.

Good luck!!
    MommyLehr

Answer by MommyLehr at 12:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Maybe putting on some quiet, familiar music will help your son drift off at night. My daughter has listened to the same CD's as she falls asleep from when she was a baby.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• When he was a baby we tried the music and it did not seem to work but we thought it was because he was in the same room as us but when we got out house he was put in his own room at night. I have tried putting movies on in his room for nap time but that didn't work he just wanted to get down and play with the tv. I still hold him to put him to sleep but as soon as I go to put him down in his bed as soon as I walk into the doorway he is wide awake. but at night he will go to bed in his own room no problem
    MommaNet11

Comment by MommaNet11 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• I'm not sure I can be help, I can't get my son to sleep in his own bed long enough. But, it could be for many reasons.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2013

• Well we have tried switching his rooms again and he has been doing good all week. He takes his naps in his own bed but at night he will still get up in the middle of the night and get in our bed. We made progress but last night he went to sleep at 9 and woke up at 10:45 and came in our bed. His doctor said its a stage and one of the hardest ones to break him of. He wont tell me why he wont sleep because he doesn't talk and in the process of getting into a speech class for his talking.
    MommaNet11

Comment by MommaNet11 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2013