Are your kids afraid to go upstairs by themselves?

Mine still is and there isn't anything scary about our house. She's just always been like this. She's pretty clingy in general. I have to stop whatever I'm doing to sit on the stairs when she has to use the bathroom or change clothes.

At night, her bedroom door has to be open w/ the hall light on. I thought she'd outgrow this by now.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 10 year old is. I was too until I was a teen. Luckily we have a bathroom downstairs.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• how old she is?

My 5 and 3 yr old are like this still I think nothing of it because they are still little.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Yes, My 6 year old is like that. He doesn't play upstairs in his room unless I am upstairs too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• My almost 8 year old will go alone if it is light enough in the house or if we turn lights on, but not if it is dark. The only exception is when she comes downstairs in the middle of the night alone. She usually doesn't turn on lights when she does that, but it happens so rarely that I don't really count that.

She has a night light, but nothing too bright.

DS (10) will go up in the dark, although he will usually run. He's not quite as frightened as DD but he high tails it in the dark open spaces.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• You have to drop everything to take a 9-12 year old to the bathroom?
    I'd let her pee herself and make her clean it up once or twice. That would put an end to that nonsense.
    You're feeding the fear, mama. You're allowing it to be ok.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• My five-year-old isn't afraid, but she doesn't like to go upstairs by herself. My boyfriend's kids, when they were preteens, didn't like me to go down to the basement and get on the computer if I was baby-sitting at their house and they'd gone to bed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2013

• Nice PGA- would you still give me that response if I posted my SN? That seems a bit extreme. But I guess I did ask for "any suggestions".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2013

• Yep. Even if you posted your screen name.
    I'd say "I cannot stop what I'm doing right this second. You'll have to go upstairs by yourself."
    She can either choose to go alone, or pee herself.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2013